For as ye in times past have not believed God, yet have now obtained mercy through their unbelief; Even so have these also now not believed, that through your mercy they also may obtain mercy. For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have MERCY UPON ALL”—Romans 11:30-32

The word ‘Mercy’ is from the Greek word “eleos”, meaning- compassion (either human or divine, especially active). But as it concerns this sermon, we’ll be discussing about only the divine aspect of compassion—The Mercy of God.

Mercy is an offshoot of the grace of God that brings salvation, that hath appeared to all men through the death and resurrection of Christ (Titus 2:11). And from our opening scripture above, and other scriptures, it is a clear fact that the mercy of God is for all and sundry…

That is, for the believers, as well as the unbelievers- even for the so-called atheists. The Bible says, it is because of the mercy of God, we’re not consumed (Lamentations 3:22a). And that accounts for why an atheist was not consumed by God, when he, in the midst of a debate with preachers, just got up at once and declared; “If there is God, let me die in the next 2 minutes” and after 2 minutes was over, he was still alive…

And that was because his compassion never fails (Lamentation 3: 22b). The fact that that particular man did not die after making that statement, does not really mean there is no God, as many erroneously believe. It was because- as his word says- He is not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance (2 Pet 3:9).

But inasmuch as it is a scriptural truth that God is a merciful God, so many folks and denominations, have pushed this issue of God’s mercy into some erroneous, doctrinal tangents.

For some, because God is a merciful God, they believe they can just go on sinning, and God will always forgive them in advance; even without any form of remorse or repentance. And on the other tangent, some others fear God’s judgment so much, that as soon as they commit a sin- especially the extreme ones- they don’t believe God can actually have mercy on them, if they confess and genuinely repent of their sins.

Instead, they just condemn themselves. Some even go to the extent of becoming agnostic. And the very worst of all, some even go off to the extreme, by committing the unpardonable sin. Which is, wilfully and understandingly, cursing God and his Christ (Heb 10:26-31).
These two erroneous doctrinal tangents, is what this sermon seeks to address…

Tangent 1: “God Is Merciful- He will Always Forgive, Even If I Don’t Repent!”

A few days back, the story of a Pastor, whom God was using to perform signs and wonders, was related to me by a Pastor, whom I shared this message with. According to him, this particular Pastor whom he knows, was into chains of adultery with some women…

But in spite of that, during his meetings, God will still perform his signs and wonders amongst his people. But this particular Pastor, remained recalcitrant (unrepentant) in his sin. And to show the extent of God’s grace and mercy upon this very Pastor, in one of such meetings that this Pastor was ministering, a dead body was brought down from the mortuary…

And as the Pastor ministered, the dead body came back to life. According to the story, as the dead body came back to life, the said Pastor started crying, instead of getting excited at the miracle.

And as inquiries was made, the Pastor confessed to have slept with a 19yrs old girl the very night before the meeting, who walked into his hotel room naked. Hence, he was embarrassed by the fact that God could still work miracles through him under such a state…

But regardless, he didn’t know that at the same time, his cup was full to the brim. Because according to the story, after that incident, a few weeks later, as the Pastor was holding a meeting, all the women he had slept with, walked up to the podium; interrupted the meeting and exposed the Pastor’s escapades to the congregation.

And that incident, eventually ended his ministry for good. I can go on and on, narrating the pitiable stories of so many folks who subscribe to the false teachings of “God is Merciful-He will always forgive, even if I do not acknowledge and repent of it.”

These folks take the grace and mercy of God for granted; and in the long-run (sometimes in the short-run), the natural laws of God, catches up with them and they begin to suffer and regret.

The preachers of such doctrines such as above, are under a very strong delusion from the kingdom of darkness. While some others are preaching and teaching it to suit their lifestyles. But for sure, if they do not repent soon, God will judge them with everlasting shame.

To such individuals preaching and practicing the above erroneous doctrine, the God of truth says; “Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and lonsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentace?” (Romans 2:4).

Tangent 2: “This Sin Is Too Much For God To Forgive!”

On this other tangent, these group of people have been taught the truth of God’s word, they know what sin is all about, and its consequences. In short, they have practiced righteousness with all sincerity and passion. They have preached it, with evidence of God’s confirmation to show for it…

But along the line, in some feat of temptation that was not planned for- or that their flesh moved them to fall into- as they fall into sin, they just call it quit on God. They just believe God can never forgive them again. “After all, I knew very well, it was a sin, even when I was doing it”- they protest to themselves…

“A whole me!” some brag. And before you know it, they’ve totally backslidden from the faith. Some even become agnostic. Some become renegades by joining non-Christian religions. Some go into long time melancholy and even end up mad, as a result of self-condemnation.

Then the very extreme of this case, are the ones who eventually commit the unpardonable sin, by cursing God and his Christ. Then make up their minds wilfully and understandingly, never to have anything to do with God ever.

But these oft not to be so, it is a good (even the best) thing to love God, promote and practice righteousness according to scriptural truth. But when you do err or fall into sin (either because of your flesh or whatever), you must humble yourself, and take advantage of the provisions of God for forgiveness…

By sincerely acknowledging your sin, repenting and asking God for forgiveness (1 John 1:8-10). A wise man says (and I believe him) that; “Great men are not those who never fall, but those who always stand up immediately they fall.” No matter the degree of the sin, God can still forgive you, so long you acknowledge it and ask for mercy from God.

And you don’t have to pay for it with anything either- except you’re recalcitrant (unrepentant)…

To this end, God says; “I will have mercy and not sacrifice” (Matt 9:13). If there is a scar, just accept the responsibility after repentance. Don’t add sin upon sin. For instance, if you fornicated or committed adultery and there is pregnancy, don’t add another one to it by committing abortion.

Just repent from where you are. To this second set of people, who Love (or loved) the Lord, Fear (or feared) him and kept his commandments, the God of mercy says; “And his mercy is on them that fear him, from generation to generation.” (Lk 1:50; Psalms 103:8-1.

So in conclusion, God is indeed a merciful God, but his mercy should not be taken for granted and treated with levity. And on the other hand, fear the Lord and diligently keep his commandments at all times. But as you do that, if you fall for or into any sin, always remember that his mercy is available to you; as you genuinely acknowledge the sin, confess, repent and ask for forgiveness.

Never let anything or sin, ever make you throw in the towel (give up) on God and his word of righteousness. If you fall 1 million times, repent 1 million times, get up and run the race to the end. So long you still have life, there is still hope, if you repent and return to God and his truth.
If you’ve already given up on God, here is another clarion call from God, from his infinite mercy- to return to him and his righteousness…

I for one, I have totally made up my mind, that come what may, I must make heaven and escape the inferno of hell. Hence, I have decided that no matter how many times I fall, I will confess, repent, ask for and receive mercy and forgiveness. And carry on with God and his word of righteousness and faith…

That is the mindset of the saintliest saint you’ve ever seen or heard of. It is not that they never fall, but they are quick to repent and accept God’s mercy immediately they fall.

So I urge you to make the same quality decision right now. And as you do, God will eternally help and bless you in Jesus Mighty Name!
If you want to give your life to Christ or rededicate your heart to Christ, say this prayer; “Lord Jesus, I repent of my sins. And I accept you into my heart as my Lord and personal Savior. Write my name in the Lamb’s book of life. Thank you for accepting and saving me, in Jesus Name!”

Remain Blessed!

Emeke Odili.