+ Reply + New Job/Topic

Topic: Some Jobs are not JOB!

Some Jobs are not JOB!

I am writing because I had a terrible experience that I believe that some members of the house will learn from it. (“Some jobs are not job”)

I left school as the best graduating students from my department, everybody was proud of me; The Lecturers, My friends and Family. In September 11, 2008 I was discharged by NYSC.

During my youth Service in Lagos, jobs were coming but I was serving then, hoping that I after I finished my NYSC, I will pick one, but It was different. My quest for a job starts immediately. I search for a job in a every street of Lagos but could not found one.
    I finally found one in a manufacturing company owned by Indians was employed as Quality assurance officer, But the conditions of service of was terrible. I do left my House from Lekki-Ajah by 4:30am and come back home around 10:30pm, sometimes 11:00pm. I worked on shift 6am-6pm; 6pm-6am (12hours). If you are 10mins late, they will deduct N1, 500 (for that day) from your salary. How much is my salary? N30, 000 a Month. If you are late at anything above 10Mins, you cannot enter the company because we enter with our finger prints. They have the finger prints device. (ACESS DENIED) .Your salary can never be complete. And I spent almost the N30, 000 on transport.

In that company you (Employee) are not allowed to answer a call, no matter how emergency it is. You have 30mins for Break, 12:300-1:00pm for morning Shift. I was in the Lab, the Machines runs 24hrs a day, 7days a week non -stop. Products are being produce in every minute and sample will be sent to the lab for Chemical and physical analysis of the Products, Before the Production department can proceed.
    I took the job because I need the Experience, I did not consider the cash. After a while I discover that the experience does not worth the Stress. We are Six (6) Industrial chemists the company recruits in the Lab. Because the officers that do work there before we came Left the job. 3 officers work in the morning shift and remaining 3 at the Night shift. I was the last guy that left the Company in my department.

Why I left the company:
    1) No Safety: “safety First” that was what I learnt from School. I worked with toxic Chemicals and there is no protective equipment and my body was exposed to danger.
    2) When I was employed, I was told that my work is 6am-6pm; 6pm-6am (on shift) Monday-Friday. After three days, my supervisor told me that I will be working on Saturday, and I accept. After a week, the personnel manager called me to sign the terms and conditions of service so that I can collect my appointment letter. After going through the note, I noticed that I will be working on Sundays. I report to my Supervisor who directed me to the Head of department. My head told me that there is a change in terms and Conditions of service that means I will be working for 12hrs a day, 7days a week. I applied for overtime pay, I was meant to know from the personnel manager that the N30, 000 covers the 8hrs normal working hours and 4hrs overtime for 7 days a week.
    3) No Hierarchy. In that company every employees are all equal except the Indians. M.Sc, B.Sc, HND, SSCE, FSLC, Experienced or no experienced, and both Factory workers are all in the same hierarchy. Everybody earns N 30,000 and there is no recognition, no promotion, and no growth. In fact there is no Motivation.
    4) We are regarded as slaves: we came in the morning (6am) as a human being and left in the evening (6pm) like an animal with no life. Movement is restricted, discussion is restricted, and you cannot answer a call. You cannot sit down in a chair. You cannot go out of the company, if it is not 6pm (for morning shift).
    I made up my mind to resign on February 10, 2009; because I have no life if I continue t work in that company. I am not regretting my decision, although I don’t have any job right now but I am OK. Because I strongly believe that God will provide one for me at that right time. I just bought my PG form from UNILAG last week Friday, so that I can upgrade myself to M.Sc/M.phill holder.

My advice to Olaomole

Don’t resign yet, you can only resign if your body cannot carry the stress. Because there will be a stress for you because of the Bad traffic we do experience over there, sometimes you will force yourself out of the Bus and Enter a bike of N250 or N300. Why are mine saying so? You said you will be spending N30, 000 a month on transportation to VGC-Ajah that means that you are staying far away from the Island. Because I am staying at Lekki-Ajah, a stone throw from VGC. Work with them for now, after a week or so, if you can’t cope, then you can apply to the company to increase your salary. Since you said the company has not move there yet. Please don’t resign yet, discuss the matter with your boss. They might review your salary. Trust in God.

D

Re: Some Jobs are not JOB!

@freeman..men dat is a hell of a working condition,this indians,lebanese are very wicked they come to our country and treat us like goats,the decision is a very good one and i support you 100%.........MY PEOPLE WE SHOULDNT STOOP LOW FOR FOREIGNERS FOR THE SAKE OF JOBS....PATIENCE sometimes is what we just need.....NO NIGERIAN EMPLOYER WOULD TREAT HIS FELLOW COUNTRY MAN LIKE THIS........
    Make use of what God gave you

Freeman, this should be chapter 1 in the story of your life. I'm really happy for you now. Very soon the indians will start controlling the economy of nigeria if care is not taken. While our leaders are busy taking our money abroad leaving nothing for the masses, the indians are creating jobs instead with 'work and die put' condition of service with meagre stipends. So so pathetic!
    Unbelievable! I see birds in the ocean and fishes flying.

Yes, that's how this 'Kora' people are, i used to work for them until recently, they are slave masters.

Wish you luck in your pursuits
    Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. <br />Your character is what u really are, while ur reputation is merely what others think.

Oboy!
    U tried to even work dat long b4 taking such a decision. A place where U dont answer ur calls?? Did U tell dem U want to spend d whole of ur career there? That company need to be sued! What nonsence! The conditions are too harsh.
    Cash Rules Everytin Around Me(CREAM)...

Working with Indians, Lebanese, Chinese or "Kora" as they are generally referred to can be very traumatic. They are renowned "Slave Masters". But who is to blame? These people take advantage of the fact that our leaders are corrupt and there is poverty in the land; to do whatever they like; ranging from Cheating, Slavery, Tax Evasion etc. all in the name of "Investing in the Nigerian Economy".

I don't wish my enemies work with them.

I advice anybody to investigate any company wholly run by these people before taking up a job with them; if you have to.
    No One Will Know You Are Honest Unless You Give Out Samples!

if u choose to remain der,my dear u wont be able to get ur dream job!u far better off without such slavery!

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman005
    I am writing because I had a terrible experience that I believe that some members of the house will learn from it. (“Some jobs are not job”)

I left school as the best graduating students from my department, everybody was proud of me; The Lecturers, My friends and Family. In September 11, 2008 I was discharged by NYSC.

During my youth Service in Lagos, jobs were coming but I was serving then, hoping that I after I finished my NYSC, I will pick one, but It was different. My quest for a job starts immediately. I search for a job in a every street of Lagos but could not found one.
    I finally found one in a manufacturing company owned by Indians was employed as Quality assurance officer, But the conditions of service of was terrible. I do left my House from Lekki-Ajah by 4:30am and come back home around 10:30pm, sometimes 11:00pm. I worked on shift 6am-6pm; 6pm-6am (12hours). If you are 10mins late, they will deduct N1, 500 (for that day) from your salary. How much is my salary? N30, 000 a Month. If you are late at anything above 10Mins, you cannot enter the company because we enter with our finger prints. They have the finger prints device. (ACESS DENIED) .Your salary can never be complete. And I spent almost the N30, 000 on transport.

In that company you (Employee) are not allowed to answer a call, no matter how emergency it is. You have 30mins for Break, 12:300-1:00pm for morning Shift. I was in the Lab, the Machines runs 24hrs a day, 7days a week non -stop. Products are being produce in every minute and sample will be sent to the lab for Chemical and physical analysis of the Products, Before the Production department can proceed.
    I took the job because I need the Experience, I did not consider the cash. After a while I discover that the experience does not worth the Stress. We are Six (6) Industrial chemists the company recruits in the Lab. Because the officers that do work there before we came Left the job. 3 officers work in the morning shift and remaining 3 at the Night shift. I was the last guy that left the Company in my department.

Why I left the company:
    1) No Safety: “safety First” that was what I learnt from School. I worked with toxic Chemicals and there is no protective equipment and my body was exposed to danger.
    2) When I was employed, I was told that my work is 6am-6pm; 6pm-6am (on shift) Monday-Friday. After three days, my supervisor told me that I will be working on Saturday, and I accept. After a week, the personnel manager called me to sign the terms and conditions of service so that I can collect my appointment letter. After going through the note, I noticed that I will be working on Sundays. I report to my Supervisor who directed me to the Head of department. My head told me that there is a change in terms and Conditions of service that means I will be working for 12hrs a day, 7days a week. I applied for overtime pay, I was meant to know from the personnel manager that the N30, 000 covers the 8hrs normal working hours and 4hrs overtime for 7 days a week.
    3) No Hierarchy. In that company every employees are all equal except the Indians. M.Sc, B.Sc, HND, SSCE, FSLC, Experienced or no experienced, and both Factory workers are all in the same hierarchy. Everybody earns N 30,000 and there is no recognition, no promotion, and no growth. In fact there is no Motivation.
    4) We are regarded as slaves: we came in the morning (6am) as a human being and left in the evening (6pm) like an animal with no life. Movement is restricted, discussion is restricted, and you cannot answer a call. You cannot sit down in a chair. You cannot go out of the company, if it is not 6pm (for morning shift).
    I made up my mind to resign on February 10, 2009; because I have no life if I continue t work in that company. I am not regretting my decision, although I don’t have any job right now but I am OK. Because I strongly believe that God will provide one for me at that right time. I just bought my PG form from UNILAG last week Friday, so that I can upgrade myself to M.Sc/M.phill holder.

My advice to Olaomole

Don’t resign yet, you can only resign if your body cannot carry the stress. Because there will be a stress for you because of the Bad traffic we do experience over there, sometimes you will force yourself out of the Bus and Enter a bike of N250 or N300. Why are mine saying so? You said you will be spending N30, 000 a month on transportation to VGC-Ajah that means that you are staying far away from the Island. Because I am staying at Lekki-Ajah, a stone throw from VGC. Work with them for now, after a week or so, if you can’t cope, then you can apply to the company to increase your salary. Since you said the company has not move there yet. Please don’t resign yet, discuss the matter with your boss. They might review your salary. Trust in God.

O boy,i think you don t understand the meaning of job.........................Just Over Broke(JOB)
    They only pay U For feeding so that U will not die,Transport so that u will Not late 2 work And to be able to put ur head somewhere to sleep if need arises, at the end of the day nothing 2 save and if u calculate all ur expenses U will discover dt u don over spend...........................
    To God be the glory

@ Dawaskee not answering calls in work place is not a new thing. Did you not hear of a Nigerian who happens to be a nurse in the UK, who was answering calls on duty and she was fired for that. It doesn't end here my friend in the US who is now a citizen of the US, returned my call after several missed calls, when i asked him what happened, only for him to tell me that during working hours receiving / making calls is not allowed be you who. Let me not hesitate in saying this "I no dey support any Chinese, Lebanese wey dey exploit people in the name of work"

@ Freeman005

I know our country is lawless in the sense that their are laws enacted but who is going to enforce them?

Abi na judge wey dem bring your case before wey di guilty person go see for night and bribe and becomes the victor?

Surely you can write about your experience and report it to a reputable newspaer for them to expose the enslavement of Nigerians by these bastards. And what about the Nigerian Labour Congress? What do they stand for? Do we have Workers Union in Nigeria that can take action on behalf of voiceless and frightened Nigerians in the clutches of these foreigners

@ Free-Man005
    The lord will make away for you where there seems to be no way.Amen
    @Olaomole
    You will laugh last
    I can do all things through christ who strengthens me

+ Reply