+ Reply + New Job/Topic

Topic: THE NEW BIKE POLICY IN RIVERS STATE. WAS IT NECESSARY?

THE NEW BIKE POLICY IN RIVERS STATE. WAS IT NECESSARY?

House please what are your opinions on the present transportation issues in Rivers state vis a vis the new policy banning Okada in the state?

Re: THE NEW BIKE POLICY IN RIVERS STATE. WAS IT NECESSARY?

First of all this is not the place for threads like these. But in my own opinion, its a very bad decision. Places where the have goad roads like lagos has not thought of it. Port harcourt that is as congested as it gets, hold up everywhere, jobless militants and the likes, you then take away their secondary means of living.

I hardly go out at night now for security reasons.

The Ban is highly welcomed!
    We have been waiting 4 it long ago!
    Okada is used to do many evil deeds in the city,
    fast means of stealing and snatching of handsets, supermaket robbing, street cultists even uses okada to do there fast hits...to sum it up the okada riders ride on the roads as if they re the only pple on the road...go to our hospitals and see d level of fatal accidents on our hospitals being coursed by okada. Doctors keeps complaning...dey re tired of cutting pples leg, not to talk of pple dat re not alive to tell any accident story. Infact! We have been expecting d ban right from Odili's tenure, but dat man no serious 4 anythin! Na only to collect money na him sabi!

So my pple we will cope wit d present transport situation, we understand d economic problems dat may arise...we don tire 4 okada 4 PHC....make dem go!
    Oneluv.
    Cash Rules Everytin Around Me(CREAM)...

It will broaded the gap btw the rich and the poor
    I am a slow walker but I never walk backwards.

its not the right time to stop okada. the traffic situation in ph is so horrible. First of all, roads would have been widened to accomodate more cars and for taxis to get to their destinations fast so that they can return to carry other passengers who have to report in their workplaces on time. myself in so many ocassions b4 now I did park my vehicle at home and go wth bike to work b/c its faster. the okada ban has now caused so many people who were not going to work everyday wth their cars to now do so and there are no roads network. what is the result? congestion! think of it. what do u think is the general feeling of the masses in this issue. who is really suffering most? the MASSES! thats the majority. a good number of poeple trek 2 and from work. lets be sincere, the total ban is not the solution. restricting them in some major roads and giving them strict rules to follow would have been fantastic. What about the the riders themselves, the spareparts dealers and the bike mechanics. lets be a bit analytical .How would you feel if your only means of livelihood is sudenly withdrawn? Lets say you are maried wth kids in primary and secondary schools which you are responsilble 4 fees, and you are staying in a rented apartment which the landlord demands for his pay monthly or yearly. dont forget you are responsbl 4 daily feeding in your nuclear family and also shoulder some other responsibilities in your extended family. now your means of having litle cash has been withdrawn without replacement. how would you feel if you were in their shoes? we shouldnt only blow trumpet on the few ugly sides of okada but lets also consider its many good and helping sides. Calabar Which is a city indeed still allows okada operation, so what are we saying then? Lets be mindfull of the fact that all fingers are not and will never be equal. in the nigerian society the ratio of the rich to the poor is far far far less than one. please think!
    trusting God doesnt make mountains smaller, rather it makes climbing easier

Kufa!
    If U ve been a victim of any of those misfortune dat I wrote earlier about d okada riders in PH U wont be sounding dis way. The Govt simply responded to the cry out of many pple in the state...a Doctor in UPTH was complaining badly dat they re tired of cuting pples leg as a result of okada, not to talk of other things. We will surely suffer it but I think its ok considering security situation in the state for now. Its ok!
    Cash Rules Everytin Around Me(CREAM)...

I think this is the typical Nigerian Factor at work here.
    One of the problems we have in Nigerian is that our leaders do not come up ingenous solutons to our problems instead they shift the blames to some people and make them suffer.
    Let me expalin:with or without okada they will still be crime-amrobbery,car thefth etc so the govenment should equip the law enforement agenices to tackle or control this vices instead of shifting the blame on Okada riders.(many are innocent of the act and have been affected)
    Secondaly in Ph there are ongoing road expansion which are yet to be completed- so why banning the okada now when you know that the roads are not yet ready for the taxis and buses to operate effectively.Also there are not enough taxis in ph to ply inside the streets and in some small coners.so how then do the masses cope.
    I believe that the outright ban of Okada at this time is wrong.
    I strongly agree with the ideas of Kufa.

You guy are all wonderful with ideas,hope we all that are expressing our feelings live in PH? Because it will be better argued if you are in port-harcourt. I have the belief that each and everyone of us expressing his or her feelings is base on where each one of us is being affected directly or indirectly.
    It is the plan of the state government to transform the state to a mega city,taking cognizance of the effect on the bike riders,spare part dealers and the user(passenger) i will say it is a bad descision.There are certain descision some government take without considering the negative effect,one can say because bike was bound in one state then i should go and try it in my state.
    Though various crime has been traced to the use of bike but that is not enough reasons to stop them.
    Port-Harcourt is a city where the number of immigrant increase on daily basis.
    If the alternative to this harship is provision of taxi,Sky bank and Rivers State partnership buses,while not make this things readily available before the bound? If i may ask where is the road for these taxi and buses to ply? Certainy no road! We all know what it takes to consruct a road in Nigeria.The situation is yet to worsen because so many persons are yet to return from thier various villages after the new year celebration.Moreso i pray that those bike men who were displaced from work dont constitute something else.I knew quite alright that the next step now is to stop those taxi that are not road worthy to reduce traffic congestion.My prayer is that the state governor should achieve his mission without affecting it populace at the end of this exercise.

This is a diabolical policy. I see your point dawaskee but banning bikes will not solve the issue either. In the case of accidents proper PPEs will reduce roads accidents for once let the road safety people do their work.

congestion can be reduce by rotating it btw even numbers and odds numbers respectively.

But what about the negative impact? The so-call crimes rather than reduce will increase at present there are more perntient issues this govt should address. Militancy is there what has he done about it. Oil companies are laying-off workers because of their activites what has he done about it.

Where are the roads that his so-call vehicles are going to ply?In what way has this policy affceted the rich. Right now most of us are sleeping with our eyes open due to insecurity in the state and now he is depreaving pple from a legitmate live earning to do what nothing.

In what way has it breached the gap btw the rich and the poor? The rains is around the corner what will happen? who is govt is made for ? This will only increase the suffers of the vast majority .

The govt lacks good advisers.
    I am a slow walker but I never walk backwards.

Touche. You folks got good points there.

l have said it b4...all corpers in rivers state compulsorily teach in postprimary schools...dis bike ban thing is anoda anti-noindigene game...even some recent street demolisions too...

l know port harcourt like the back of my hand...a lot of atrocities are commited using bikes...criminals in the guise of militants function on bikes...the security situation there is very volatile...there are no white men there anymore...even the principal of a secondary school, an indigene was kidnapped and som heavy ransome was effected to effect his release...honestly the bike ban is a welcomed point of view b ut it was too sudden...no measures were put in place to cushion the would be side effects cos about no rivers indigene is a bikeman...

somebody should tell guvnor amaechi dat rome was not built in a day
    may the power of love overcome the love of power!

i think there should be a plan for those rider because what are they goin to do after no work.we graduate are shoutin no job,and one person is creatin job seekers to join us,infact nigeria can not be better.
    Buddytronics

+ Reply