+ Reply + New Job/Topic

Topic: Interview question

Interview question

Pls house, what do interviewers seek to find out when they ask you how many siblings you have. And like how old is your younger ones and the year they are born. What has your family position got 2 do with job seeking and position. Pls your response will highly be appreciated. I faced that question in an interview and that seems 2 be what failed me when i told them we are three and cant really remember the age of my younger one.
    Most importantly, i think it is not my job but wants 2 know the proper way 2 tackle such question.

Re: Interview question

I think the idea behind the question is to find out how much responsibility u have in your family, to help them assess how easily u can detach yourself from family and face work. They want to know if ur responsibilities at home will affect your ability to give ur best at work. They probably are also interested in finding out your kind of relationship you have with your siblings. And if that is correct, then u flopped big time by 4getting their ages. In my case, they wanted to know my position in the family and what all my siblings do for a living. However, even tho' every question in an interview is important since they target different assessments, I still think this should be one of the not-so-important issues.
    Aal izz well...

@Lionleo: i appreciate your reply. But come 2 think of it, what has ones position in the family and relationship in the family really got 2 do with ones ability 2 work? Tho' u said its one of the not so important question but because i lost the job, i see it as one of the cause. So, is it better 2 tell lies? Or what is the best approach 2 such a question.

D relationshp as per ur position in d family and ur job is dt they'd seek2 knw hw wel u kan do wt subordinates.I'l gv an example:My cousin is d eldst in her immediate family,she was askd in d interview her position,she told dem she's d 1st child,latr in d same intrview she was askd wht her special abilities inclded,she tld them that as d first child in a family of 6,she's been able2 take kia of her siblings,make and take decisions 4d betterment of d family esp since her dad died and her mothr is a career woman.She got d job!She's been able 2work with youngr ppl efficiently ovrtime.
    My critics aint seen nothing yet!

What about people who are born alone. I mean an only child. Does it mean such a person has no responsibility? Or will the person have 2 lie.

@Yuddie: You made sense but I'm sure your sis did well all round to land the job.
    @BUU: Outright lying is ur worst option... if by any chance they discover, you are out. Not even the smallest organizations can tolerate dishonesty. Be yourself... always. Sometimes tho', a harmless half truth may be called for. E.g. I was asked if my integrity has ever been tested and how I handled it. It was a tricky one one I told an intelligent mix of what happened and what should have happened! It's impossible to detect if you tell the tale with all confidence and charm. Your interview answers should depend on what you think they want to hear. As much as possible, give it to them. As per the child/family issues, I see no point lying. I am the last and my immediate elder is 9 years older. I told them just that when they asked. They later asked how I would manage if I were to lead a team where I was the youngest. My point is whether you are the eldest or youngest, it is neither an advantage nor a disadvantage. Prepare for all kinds of questions... anything is possible. 'Tell us about yourself', details of your hobbies, details about the organization, why you should be hired, know your CV inside out, arrange examples and illustrations of your skills and experiences (e.g if you are self-motivated, u should be ready to prove it. You will also need stories of how u influenced people, protected your integrity, developed yourself etc) I'm attaching a book I found very helpful. Hope you it works for you too. Enjoy...
    Aal izz well...

@Lionleo: this is revealing. I was ignorant of some facts. Can u also imagine i was asked how old i was when i got into the primary school and i was tryin 2 do little calculation. This is a job i've tracked 2 Lagos 4 more than two times. Its painful and i pray 4 another opportunity. Its not actualy my first experience but i was actually expecting the normal, 'tell me about your strength, weakness, what u can do for us or why u want 2 work with us or where u hope 2 find yourself in x years and all that'. I think i never studied my CV properly. I'm so grateful so far. I think u have built my courage now.
    How do u also consider someone who is seeking a job and also claims 2 be selfemployed? In the past i've been asked about strength, i started talking about my abilities and skills. The interviewer just halted me and said 'you are only selling yourself'. Its so unfortunate that i'm advertising my ignorance but i think i've learnt something so far. May be it is the sacrifice i have 2 pay. Tanx once more

Pls brother (Lionleo), i could not open the PDF file. I actually have an acrobat reader but that the file is corrupt or damaged. Its been downloaded 7 times before i tried doing so. Please can u help me send it to my box : [email protected] . Tanx in anticipation of your favourable reply. God bless ya

nice one ....lionleo

Re: Reply

Quote Originally Posted by BUU
    @Lionleo:
    How do u also consider someone who is seeking a job and also claims 2 be selfemployed? In the past i've been asked about strength, i started talking about my abilities and skills. The interviewer just halted me and said 'you are only selling yourself'. Its so unfortunate that i'm advertising my ignorance but i think i've learnt something so far. May be it is the sacrifice i have 2 pay. Tanx once more
    1 thing about a good interviewer is flexibility. this enables him to hang you on your own words. if you are self-employed, you open a whole new world of questions. if i were the interviewer, i would want to know what you did, how well you managed your biz, how the experience has improved you, how much of your 'self-employed' skills will you bring in or will fit into my organization, why you no longer want to be self employed, etc. And interviewers deliberately try to mislead you. You say sth stupid and they smile and nod as if you are a genius! talk sense, he frowns and and looks puzzled. it's really difficult, if at all possible to know what goes down in their heads. Just stick to your planned script. Understand what skills, strengths and abilities are, identify yours and match them to your real (or imagined ) experiences.If you've done your home work right, just go on. if he says stop, stop. but whatever happens, DO NOT lose your composure, confidence or smile. Try to enjoy the moment. My post is getting lengthy but i gotta share his:
    At my PwC interview, after the intro and 'tell us about yourself', the very first question was designed to throw me off completely. he asked if i knew abt d banking crisis... I said yes, thinking it was gonna be simple. then he asked, if you were a consultant, how wud you make money out of these banks in this period?! that one hit me out of the blues cos i ddnt c it coming. i just blundered thru it, but with a smile and unbroken composure. so i ddnt 4get my answers to the more regular questions that followed
    that's y i say interviews are not so much about your 'right' or 'wrong' answers. it's more about what attitudes, character or personality you show, from your comportment, your countenance and choice and arrangement of words. it's surely not about intelligence... that's what the tests are for. so just make sure the little things are all in place... dress to kill (formally, or course), with your best everything, for ladies, skirts only, clean shave, cut your nails, no perfumes, no crossing of arms or legs, don't touch or drop anything on the interviewers table... crazy little things... but they matter! and then, confidently respond to the best of your abilities! remember, every individual and organisation is unique. A might want a bold leader, while B wants a meek follower. if u know what they want, play the role. if you don't, be yourself!
    Aal izz well...

+ Reply