+ Reply + New Job/Topic

Topic: I need advice

Posh

I need advice

Hi guys. Av applied 4 several jobs, both on & off-line, but i don't get invited 4 written tests. I graduated with a 2.2 in Accounting & i av about 2yrs. experience in the insurance industry, but i don't want 2 continue with an insurance career, cos d future of insurance in Nigeria is unpromising. Am 26, what do u think might be wrong? Pls, my good people advise.

Re: I need advice

You dont have to be depressed by this present situation. The problem is half was solved since you already know you dont want to stay in your present industry. What you need is a "SWOT" analysis of you present self and situation.

S - strenghts
    W - Weaknesses
    O - Opportunities
    T - Threats

This might help you to see more about what you can do for yourself outside your present occupation cos you might not be looking in the right direction for your next job.

ALL D BEST PAL

I think you've not had it that bad..depends on your perspective. Two years experience is a plus; if you play it right on your CV.

Since you don't want to continue in your present career, (which is actually related to your field of study and the experience you have gathered), you should think about building skills in the area u want to specialize in. I'm not necessarily saying go back to school, but think about taking professional certification exams in whichever area it is. Think about joining professional bodies in that field. What you need to do is to generate things that sell CV in your new area.

I agree with the previous post on you doing a SWOT (and deepsee34 is actually half solved since u know what u want to do) but u also need to take the more proactive step of looking for ways to add value to yourself in the new career direction you want to go in.

Wishing you all the very best
    The help of God is the greatest need of any person...

When you know where you are going you are half way there.
    I sugest that you:
    Check you SWOT as right mentioned deepsee34 Then paln a job seeking startegy and have a plan "B'( that if you dont get a job by your own deadline date what next)
    Also wher jobseeking
    From you comment _rewrite your CV delete or tear all the one you have ever written.Start again do it yourself and be honest.-Forget the big grammer and assorted props- simple consie 2pager at most.Plenty white place and all.
    Then remember to personalize it to the job you are appliying for.

I really would be back to give you more on this!
    Innovative Solutions  ...adding value

I really dont know what angle to start advising you from. How do you make your applications? Do you keep doing them the same way? If yes, then there may be something fundamentally wrong with the way you do it. Im just speculating. So, review the way you make applications. Like purplepal suggested, try to kind of START AFRESH!!! In terms of approach, of course.

I also think I should reemphasized on a point that has been well made. How do you exploit your present experience in getting an edge? That's something most people really dont get right. You complain that you'll like to change your present job. Following from that, I strongly SUSPECT that you usually hide the fact that you are already employed while applying for jobs. If my suspicion is right then you are wrong. Work on that. No employer would be pleased to hear that you've been doing nothing for the past 2 years!!!!

So, once more, work on the way you present your experience.

I think I've exhausted what I have to say in this regard. But, another advice from a remote angle...........
    ..........ask your friends that have similar qualifications to yours that are usually successful with applications how they go about theirs. YES. This may sound funny but do it. It could be the short cut to discovering what you do wrongly!

I hope this proves helpful.

Wish you the best with your exploits!!!!

Cheers.

+ Reply