+ Reply + New Job/Topic

Topic: Getting a Job is a job

Getting a Job is a job

Nobody owes you a job in 2009 or beyond. Surely not even before. If you desire a good job in this sparkling new year, you need to get up your butt and go after the job you desire. Invest your time, energy and money (even the little you have- you have a GSM handset, don’t you?). Let me add further, most job seekers expect the job search to be easy, simple and quick; and when things are not going that way, they give up, often too soon.

The thrust of this presentation is that though you may be unemployed, you still have a job to do: to get yourself a job. You will need to put in all you have and be focused. To get a good job takes imagination, initiative and focus. It means that you must be committed to implementing the skills you will acquired reading this blog, attending seminars, reading relevant books. You know what you want, and must be ready to work for it. Are you?

The message in the first paragraph is the first of three fundamentals of job search. The No. 2: job-hunting success is directly proportional to the amount of intelligent job-hunting effort. The more you try, the more likely you will find the job you want, and quickly too. Even if you are a career/job changer, you need to schedule and make time out consistently to pursue your job search. No. 3: successful job-hunting requires a willingness to change tactics. If something is not working, move to another strategy. But do you have a job search strategy? These apply to everybody in the job market.

In your efforts to get a job, you will probably encounter some barriers and hurdles. Common barriers include
    • I am not experienced/too experienced
    • I am too young/old
    • The economy is bad and so is unemployment
    • My course is not marketable
    • I don’t have connection
    • My skills are obsolete etc.

Think again, are these real barriers or excuses? It is often easy to blame external factors for failure to get what you want. The real barriers are generally internal doubts and fear, resistance to change and our perception. Perceptions, may be stronger than reality- it influences our attitude and actions towards a given object or situation, whether it is right or wrong.

There are about 5 steps to your dream job. The first point in your job search is to assess your job search skills. Review the strategies and techniques listed below and rate your self (1 – poor; 5 = ok; 10 = excellent)
    1. Analyzing my skills, interest and qualities
    2. Honestly looking at barriers
    3. Identifying specific job target
    4. Writing effective job applications
    5. Preparing for interview
    6. Performing at interview
    7. Writing effective Resume/C.V
    8. Networking skills
    9. Selection Test skills
    10. Evaluating job offers

To look good, you need an average score above 75%! If you did not do well enough, then do all you can to acquire job search skills: read books, attend relevant seminars, get help- from friends, family members, mentors, career and job search counselors, professional Resume/C.V writers etc. You need to acquire skills in the following areas: skill analysis, job search strategies formulation, career and job goal setting, identifying career achievement, writing winning Resume/C.V and application letter, conducting informational interview, job interview and follow up, job aptitude test etc.
    I am sure the question floating in your mind is “where are the jobs? You are already on your way to uncovering the job market.

The above was a part of a presentation. Read the full article at
    - be the best candidate for the job!

Re: Getting a Job is a job

Nice one!
    A morale booster.
    Cash Rules Everytin Around Me(CREAM)...

+ Reply