+ Reply + New Job/Topic

Topic: Careers back home

Careers back home

Hi naija brothers and sisters, just some advice needed desperately.

I am planning at some stage to return to Nigeria if the right opportunity exists

I have 7 years experience in the telecommunications/IT industry working mainly for ISPs and Financial companies.

My whole career has ranged from technical support level 1 to my current position as a network engineer.

I have worked with technologies such as MPLS, Frame-relay, ATM, ISDN , remote access ( VPNs ) and all sorts to be honest. I have a CCNA and CCNP switching ( hoping to complete CCNP shortly ) but my skill set and experience coupled with extensive classroom based courses have provided me with excellent routing and switching skills.

Currently I am the main contact between my company and ISP and I monitor the WAN and LAN for network optimisation while making sure that any bottle necks such as packet loss / slow responses are eradicated or solved speedily. I also analyse traffic trends and patterns and use the information to predict/recommend upgrades and customer solutions. I deal regularly with security ( firewall /proxy server), DHCP/DNS, and IPT ( IP Telephony ) faults and problems and of course the usual hardware installation/configuration and upgrade.

My questions is this : I am totally ingorant of telecoms and IT infrastructure in Nigeria in terms of what they offer and how advanced they are in comparison to the west, but I am aiming for network management though I have not managed anyone here ( LOL ), but based on my coordination skills, incident and problem management, working under strict SLAs and deadlines etc etc . Ialso managed a team in Nigeria but that was 13 years ago.

I need some advise before I start to approach companies. Will my skiils be useful or well sort after in my beloved homeland.

Please leave feedback even if it requires a hard saying.

God bless.

Re: You really fit man

With due pleasure, i have to say that you really fit in completely. Coming back home makes you an hot cake for demand. However, make sure you complete your CCNP on time;this will buttress your position.

Thank you man

Re: Careers back home

Bros, i really hail you O!!!. well done for ALL the good work. I advice that you get the job first before coming home if so desired. Let it be that they really need you and they will have to pay through their nose to relocate you and your family. Never give any employer (a Nigerian) an impression that U are keen on coming back to Nigeria. It will affect your negotiating power. It's a different ball game if u come across a US-owned company here in Nigeria. They will value u for what u can deliver. You've gotten great skills and please don't take anything less your worth. But if you are coming back home to invest and start your own company, very fine this period that Nigeria is experiencing the greatest developmental change ever in Telecoms infrastructure and policies. B U T
    If you are currently in the United STATES, i will strongly advice that you still develop yourself more to a level where you can work for major IT solution provider across the world before coming back to Nigeria. Then I believe, U will command more Success in your fatherland.

I am a CompTIA certified Network+ Professional, and I'm planning to start my MSc programme in Computer Systems and Networking in Greenwich, UK later this September. I have plans to write my Security+ exam before then though I still believe i can write and pass the CCIE LAB by DEC 2010.
    Pls i will need ur help in the near future. kindly give me your e mail address.
    Thank you. I wish you more Success in ur Endeavour.

Re: Careers back home

Sorry, i forgot to leave my ad, it's [email protected]. Thank you

+ Reply