Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By sammie77
  • 1 Post By Ibot
  • 1 Post By Olukamber
  • 1 Post By agalimojo
  • 1 Post By Triple-C

Topic: Six interview mistakes

Six interview mistakes

It's tough to avoid typical interview traps if you're unsure what they are. Here are six to watch out for.

1. Confusing an Interview with an Interrogation

Most candidates expect to be interrogated. An interrogation occurs when one person asks all the questions and the other gives the answers. An interview is a business conversation in which both people ask and respond to questions. Candidates who expect to be interrogated avoid asking questions, leaving the interviewer in the role of reluctant interrogator.

2. Making a So-Called Weakness Seem Positive
    Interviewers frequently ask candidates, "What are your weaknesses?" Conventional interview wisdom dictates that you highlight a weakness like "I'm a perfectionist," and turn it into a positive. Interviewers are not impressed, because they've probably heard the same answer a hundred times. If you are asked this question, highlight a skill that you wish to improve upon and describe what you are doing to enhance your skill in this area. Interviewers don't care what your weaknesses are. They want to see how you handle the question and what your answer indicates about you.

3. Failing to Ask Questions
    Every interview concludes with the interviewer asking if you have any questions. The worst thing to say is that you have no questions. Having no questions prepared indicates you are not interested and not prepared. Interviewers are more impressed by the questions you ask than the selling points you try to make. Before each interview, make a list of five questions you will ask. "I think a good question is, ‘Can you tell me about your career?'" says Kent Kirch, director of global recruiting at Deloitte. "Everybody likes to talk about themselves, so you're probably pretty safe asking that question."

4. Researching the Company But Not Yourself
    Candidates intellectually prepare by researching the company. Most job seekers do not research themselves by taking inventory of their experience, knowledge and skills. Formulating a list of accomplishments prepares you to immediately respond to any question about your experience. You must be prepared to discuss any part of your background. Creating your talent inventory refreshes your memory and helps you immediately remember experiences you would otherwise have forgotten during the interview.

5. Leaving Your Cellphone On
    We may live in a wired, always-available society, but a ringing cellphone is not appropriate for an interview. Turn it off before you enter the company.

6. Waiting for a Call
    Time is your enemy after the interview. After you send a thank-you letter to every interviewer, follow up a couple of days later with either a question or additional information. Try to contact the person who can hire you, and assume that everyone you met with has some say in the process. Additional information can be details about your talents, a recent competitor's press release or industry trends. Your intention is to keep everyone's memory of you fresh.
    gzl and Triple-C like this.

Re: Six interview mistakes

sammie, very nice post, but I have some objections about rule 3.
    You should ask your interviewer questions only if you have a genuine query and there's absolutely no offence if you say you have no question especially if the interviewer explained things in detail during the course of the interview...this could even prove that you've done thorough research before comin for the interview. Askin questions is kinda dangerous cos you may even be askin what the interviewer has already explained b4 in such a case d interviewee may sound lame.
    Triple-C likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibot View Post
    sammie, very nice post, but I have some objections about rule 3.
    You should ask your interviewer questions only if you have a genuine query and there's absolutely no offence if you say you have no question especially if the interviewer explained things in detail during the course of the interview...this could even prove that you've done thorough research before comin for the interview. Askin questions is kinda dangerous cos you may even be askin what the interviewer has already explained b4 in such a case d interviewee may sound lame.

I kinda don't agree with u ibot. one rule of interview that has been since forever is to always ask questions.

When u don't ask questions, it makes it look like ure not comfortable in ur skin or u havnt done enuf research. Conversation is meant to go both ways... Don't leave d poor interviewer talking for like an hour and after u have nothing to say.

There are loads of questions to ask interviewers online. However, if u can't think of something constructive then don't talk and pls pls ure trying to get d interviewer to chat with u so don't ask d questions dat will give u yes or no ansas.

MY OPINION...
    Triple-C likes this.

but what if U ask a question that the interviewers find difficult to answer? i asked my Panel in my NNPC interview to explain how the DPR and NNPC both manage the process of exploration biddibg rounds without conflicting, and they visibly struggled to answer the question, after a while they ask me if i was clear and i answered yes, am kinda scared.

Nice one Sammie. There's no way one would attend an interview and would'nt have any questions to ask. There are so many things one can ask about like- the pay package, career path,how long it would take b4 they get back at you or surprise the interviewer by asking if u'v impressed them enough to nail the job!
    Triple-C likes this.

Nice one Sammie...your points are valid...ask questions guys!!!

Nice Post!
    No One Will Know You Are Honest Unless You Give Out Samples!

@Uncle Sammie (US), very good one

@Ibot and Olukamber, 10x guys 4making the process interactive

Quote Originally Posted by agalimojo View Post
    ... or surprise the interviewer by asking if u'v impressed them enough to nail the job!
    @Agalimojo, brother this ur summation tight oh! this isn't just taking them by surprise but also taking them by storm. when the candidate leaves the room, they'll all be wondering aloud; "what just hit us?"...a tornado did guys..................lol
    donivald likes this.

gud one...thanks sammie...i think point 4 is something i have to work on

ok sammie you win, I give up ! @ olukamber, nice info takia lol

Quote Originally Posted by jumkiss View Post
    but what if U ask a question that the interviewers find difficult to answer? i asked my Panel in my NNPC interview to explain how the DPR and NNPC both manage the process of exploration biddibg rounds without conflicting, and they visibly struggled to answer the question, after a while they ask me if i was clear and i answered yes, am kinda scared.
    Jump Kiss Asking questions in interview is very important. If you do not ask questions, you might actually look lame. That question you asked at the NNPC interview was to advanced permit me to say. Especially if you applied for entry level. Do not ask qurstions that will make the interviewer look foolish. what I advice is that you should askquestions that show that you are interested in developing a career with the company. Do not ask questions like
    1. How much will I be paid, especially if it is entry level hire
    2. When will the final list be out.

These questions show that you are desperate. No one wants to hire a desperate employee.

All the best bro.

Pls my question is this,considering our environment,rule no 6,SENDING A THANK YOU LETTER!IS IT OBTAINABLE/PRACTICABLE IN OUR NIGERIAN ENVIRONMENT?Need answers,cos I have an interview coming up!thanks @sammy!

+ Reply