+ Reply + New Job/Topic

Topic: MSc Subsea Engineering but BSc Computer Science ......

AOI

MSc Subsea Engineering but BSc Computer Science ......

Hi all,

Please I urgently need advice from anyone on this forum.

I have a BSc in Computer Sc and over 10 yrs Desktop Support experience in the Oil & Gas Industry. I'm planning a career switch from IT to Offshore Technology and I have applied to read MSc Subsea Engineering at a UK university. But considering the total amount involved (which is very huge) I suddenly have this fear of being disadvantaged in job searches in view of my 1st degree and previous work experiences after completing the programme.

Does anyone know if my fears are real?

Re: MSc Subsea Engineering but BSc Computer Science ......

Hi AOI,

Nice decision, but U need to weigh a lot of things before taking a leap.

My suggestion: Since you currently have a good job, I would advice that you take up Masters in Subsea Engineering by distance learning 4 2 yrs (Check out University of Aberdeen & Heriot Watt).

You might find relevant areas of application from your current job. In two years time, you will have earned the MSc. You can even request for a move to subsea operations in your current company. But i would not advise you leave your current job because you wanna pursue the subsea thing. It might not be very easy getting a job, due to your previous experience.

Also, if you can get a study leave from your company, then go for contact learning (1 year) you might be assured of a place wen U come back (either in Desktop support or Subsea opns).

My 2 cents.

Your fears are very genuine. With d present economic reality, I'll nt advice my enemy 2 leave his well paid job 4 a master degree even if it's in Havard, MIT or Imperial college. It does nt worth d sacrifice!
    Even if there was job boom, do u intend sacrificing ur 10 yrs precious IT experience for an entry level career in subsea engineering?
    I humbly suggest u do a master degree dats related 2 IT, ur experience will make u a hotcake.

I understand u must have good reasons why u want to switch ur career path but b4 u do that, u should think critically of the implications.

Firstly, with ur 10 years experience in IT, u would be a hot cake if u go for an Msc but changing ur path now might render ur 10 years useless and reduce u to an entry level fresher just like someone pointed out earlier.

Secondly, with ur education and experience, u would most likely be a square peg in a round hole. Forget what those UK university guys say in their websites about the course being suitable for everyone from any field cos all they really care about is ur money. U will go through HELL trying to fit into this new path cos u would be faced with lots of flow assurance (fluid mechanics), strength of materials and other typical engineering stuff which I'm sure u might not be familiar with.

Thirdly, with the present economic crunch, it is extremely risky to leave a good job for a master's degree (especially in UK). If u must leave ur job to pursue a master's degree, I personally would advise u to stick to ur IT field where ur experience will be a booster.

HR people try 2 match 1st your degree and work experience b4 considering Master Degree.
    I consider them right because, you can't prove 2 know more of something that took you 1yr than another which took you 4-5 yrs 2 study.
    On another note your Masters programme ought 2 be a progression of your 1st degree. If its not you will well realise the fact there are more suitable candidate for jobs in that area than you.
    I have undertaken so many recruitment exercise, so I know what I mean.
    My sincere advise 2 you is 2 consider taking further studies something close 2 your first degree eg. Petrochemical Computing Analyst. That way you'll be sure of at least growth in you chosen area.
    Or Mgt which your yrs of experience will fetch 4 you.

HR people try 2 match 1st your degree and work experience b4 considering Master Degree.
    I consider them right because, you can't prove 2 know more of something that took you 1yr than another which took you 4-5 yrs 2 study.
    On another note your Masters programme ought 2 be a progression of your 1st degree. If its not you will well realise the fact that there are more suitable candidate for jobs in that area than you.
    I have undertaken so many recruitment exercises, so I know what I mean.
    My sincere advise 2 you is 2 consider taking further studies something close 2 your first degree eg. Petrochemical Computing Analyst. That way you'll be sure of at least growth in you chosen area.
    Or Mgt which your yrs of experience will fetch 4 you.

The guy is fake and he is asking fake question
    We should stop disturbing ourselves with this kind of questions
    He is not saying the truth?
    Do u think 10 years in an Oil and Gas company is a joke
    Let him get-rout and post real and benefit-able questions

Quote Originally Posted by TaoNaija
    The guy is fake and he is asking fake question
    We should stop disturbing ourselves with this kind of questions
    He is not saying the truth?
    Do u think 10 years in an Oil and Gas company is a joke
    Let him get-rout and post real and benefit-able questions
    @TaoNaija...your blood dey hot oh!, help this brother out, he need our support now, if not he would not be humble enough to ask for it...after all no one knows it all

I am currently in the University of Aberdeen studying MSc Safety and Reliabilty Engineering and would advice you to apply for a study leave before you venture coming over here to take up an MSc in Subsea Engineering because, 1st of all, there is job scarecity even here in the Uk and 2ndly, since it is a change of field on your side, u might be given the opportunity to move over to job relating to subsea if the company retains you.

AOI

Hello guys, I want to say a very big thank you to all of you who have really poured out your minds on this issue, especially those who have shared the HR insight into it. My fear has always been with the HR guys. And for the guy who think I am fake, I want to say that I am very much real. I am in this dilemma because I am a CONTRACT staff and the only option left for me is to resign if I want to pursue this course. I don't have the privilege of a study-leave as most of you had rightly suggested.

I graduated from the university at 24yrs with a 2,1 in Computer Sc, was somewhat lucky (or should I say unlucky) to have been posted to one of the leading Oil & Gas firms in Nigeria where I did my NYSC at age 25/26 yrs. Ever since, I have been on contract term employment (renewable yearly) with the same Oil firm. Having spent 12 good years with the firm and having held various leadership and supervisory roles at the firm (I have an MBA as well) with no prospect of being enlisted on the firms payroll, I have decided to save some money and go for further studies with the hope that my new qualification in Subsea Engineering will give me easy access to a pensionale job in view of the scarcity of manpower in the Subsea Engineering sector at the moment.

I have not come to this site to woo sentiments but to seek candid advise which I think I have gotten in great amount from you all. Once again, I want to say thank you to you all, I pray God Almighty should lead my aright in this situation.

+ Reply