+ Reply + New Job/Topic
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Topic: MSc in Petroleum Geosciences or Environmental Engineering?

Re: MSc in Petroleum Geosciences or Environmental Engineering?

...DOZIEJ84, i do have 2 say i am really taken aback by your request for advice from me, as i am not a CAREER GUIDANCE COUNCELLOR, but i will help out as much i can! Regarding your profile, u STUDYD GEOPHYSICS, but wana add ENGINEERING 2 it - a good CAREER MOVE, but is that what you REALLY WANT, or u wana do it becos odas r doin it or u feel its gona be lucrative? Like i said b4, ENGINEERING is it, and if u wana tow any ENGINEERING line, WILL ADVICE u go 4 GEOTECHNICAL ENGINEERING, with an option of OFFSHORE and ONSHORE specializations since u r OIL and GAS Inclined! PETROLEUM ENGINEERING is also great, but u might have a challenge initially during ur course of study, as u dont have d INITIAL ENGINEERING KNOW-HOW, though your KNOWLEDGE of PHYSICS might b ur savin grace!
    Truth is, a blend of PETROLEUM ENGINEERING with specialization in RESERVOIR ENG, along with ur GEOPHYSICS degree is absolutely lovely, as u'd b an advantage 2 any OIL and GAS COMPANY, if EXPLORATION and PRODUCTION, or OIL SERVICING; as ur MULTI-KNOWLEDGE of the 2 will ALWAYS come in HANDY!
    So my advice is GO FOR IT if ur HEART SAYS SO, and if u want a list of UNIVERSITIES 2 go, CHECK any of des: HERIOT-WATT in EDINBURGH ( They r d BEST IN D WORLD IN PETROLEUM ENG), as deir CERTIFICATE will BOOST ur C.V; ROBERT GORDON (dey have good PUBLICITY, AND deir PETROLEUM PRODUCTION ENG is also UP DER!); and IMPERIAL COLLEGE (dont have 2 tell u y i chose dis, do i?)
    An advice tho - B4 U DECIDE 2 MAKE ANY CAREER MOVE, PRAY, and BE CERTAIN IN UR HEART dat's what u want! Takia...

Nice to hear that and what a good illustration. thanks. I ve learnt too

Geo segun, if u want to lecture..go for enviromental engineering..bt if u want mmmoonnney..go for the oyher...but use your eagle eyes..just like field trip at obananko

For Specialization sake, go for Pet. Geosciences. Note that B.Sc are too common and competitive, you don't fix your gaze on a particular Organisation as the only place you must work. That is where I feel you need the badly need specialization to give you advantage.
    Realistically, you need either cognate experience &/or professional cert to give you competitive advantage nowadays
    Rem. to pray 4 divine guidance

Cheers

@ rugged geologist; that must be ''kay la pa''; i remeber the phrase when mapping some part of Iseyin/Oyan schist belt( i mean the part of the pre-cambrian basement complex of southwestern nigeria> 600Ma). i remember vividly, you used to be my supporting eagle eye. you are too much and i cant forget that in a hurry. MY PADDY PADDY

@ akanepress; thanks for the advise. so stright forward an advice.

i

@geosegun: Every company is interested in safety of the environment; if you doubt me find out from companies that have been made to pay large fines due to the effects of their activities on their host communities; not every company is interested in petroleum engineering. I would suggest you go for Environmental Engineering.

@jtx3001: I will not quite agree with you on rating Hariot Watt University as the best in Petroleum Engineering. The question you should consider is: How many companies come to the institute to recruit and what is the general engineering activity in the city where it is located? I'll try to answer the first question by informing you that I know a guy who schooled in Hariot Watt, he had to come down here to look for a job, please believe me. The answer to the second question can be deduced by looking at the general engineering activity around the community where Harriot Watt is located, it is practically non-existent. If you need a Petroleum Engineering school where you would have a job before you sit your last exam look towards the Texas axis, the University of Texas at Austin preferably; Texas A & M University is equally a very good school. For a top dollar school apply to Stanford University; believe me you would have a job before you graduate. The admission requirements for these schools is high though: GRE, Toefl etc. You can try to verify yourself, about every equipment in the oil and gas industry comes from Texas, check the manufacturer of hardware and software applications. One more thing, where is the head office of some of the biggest oil majors, Texas.

@[email protected]:
    I don't know what you have against the originator of this discussion, but I guess it is "bad belle". You need to render an unreserved apology to geosegun.

@ spiritbeing: I can see you have some good points and a good heart may God bless you for the advice.
    Admissions to US school is a bit difficult compare to that of UK and 2yrs progrm to a yr in the UK. yet i hear a lot of people saying Imperial's petroleum engrin and petroleum geosciences is one of the best in the world. Moreso, a friend that just came from heriot watt Geosead told me their program there is even better than that of imperial. He encouraged me to put in for it and assure me that i will not reget it.
    Proof me wrong if you have the chance and time.
    Please note that i have not decided on which path to take. Still waiting on God's best plan for me
    I seems to like your analysis of issues. wish you best of July.

...@ SPIRITBEING: Thanks for your post, and also engagin me in this! After readin thru what u posted, i do have 2 say that as much as u are right with all the stuffs relating to the OIL and GAS industry being in TEXAS, the STATES and ALL, i have to let you know this: U ARE ABSOLUTELY WRONG WITH THE FACT THAT TEXAS A&M IS THE BEST SKOOL FOR PETROLEUM ENG - TRUST ME! I have done countless researches, and takin cognizance its GEOGRAPHICAL location, it has THE BEST EQUIPMENTS AND TOOLS for this COURSE! To be candid, its this SAME COURSE that brings this skool on the map!
    Besides, u have to consider that skools are rated on what their strengths are! For example, if u wana study anything MANAGEMENT, go 2 HARVARD! U wana go for GEO-TECHNICAL ENG, go 2 DUNDEE! HERIOT WATT might not be in TEXAS or ABERDEEN, but even OIL COMPANIES within these areas send their employees there for extra education based on their INFRASTRUCTURE. EDINBURGH, where HERIOT WATT is located, is just a TRAIN RIDE from ABERDEEN, and as such EMPLOYERS still get their primary targets if they wana. Bsides, TOTAL has a STEADY RECRUITMENT programme with them.
    Do check on these for more clarification, and have a lovely night...

@ tx3001; Spiritbeing;akanxpress and Others
    Thanks for your inestimable contributions; For a school to put one on admission waiting list what does it implies and/or is there any hope of admission?

...@ GEOSEGUN: Applying to the UK is relatively easier than applying to the STATES, as all u have to do is send relevant documents to the skool thru post, or better still thru the skools ONLINE DIRECT APPLICATION PORTAL, which means u have to upload all ur documents for the relevant course adviser/ international admissions office to look in2 and decide if u meet up with their criteria or not. As regards their waiting list, i do know that most skools in the UK have closed the window for SEPTEMBER applications, though u might still be lucky to get a quick admission from the skool if they have special concessions for u, such as the class not filled up yet, etc. If u do get admission NOW, u have to ensure that ur MONEY is ready and in UR PERSONNAL ACCOUNT, not that of your parent ( NEW UK IMMIGRATION RULE!), and if u have a sponsor such as GOVERNMENT or a COMPANY, it makes it easier as all u have to do is inform the skool which will in-turn inform the CONSULATE here, while u on ur part will include this details wyl applyin for your VISA.
    Truth is, to apply to a UK skool ( NOW or towards JANUARY WINDOW), U need to have a pretty huge source of fundin, as the minimum cost for INTERNATIONAL STUDENT for ENGINEERING and GEOSCIENCES is GBP9000, not adding ACCOMODATION, and MAINTENACE moneys.
    If u have ur money in place, then apply to whatever skool u want, and as long as dey give u IMMEDIATE admission, just pay, and have proof of ur money ready to present to the UK CONSULATE so they grant u VISA.
    Takia, and do have a lovely day...

@ jtx3001; Thanks for your concern hoping to get theough before the end of this july. thanks. Hope the awaitnin list issue will favour me in the end in addition to the one i am waiting for their decision. Thanks. Its Scholarship no quams about funding. Thinking about birminham Geotechnics or what did you think?

...GEOSEGUN,truth is EVERYTIN depends on U! I cnt say do dis wyl ur mind isnt der - jst PRAY, and do wt ur mind tells u 2 do, Be it PETROLEUM GEOSCIENCES, ENVIRONMENTAL ENG or GEOTECHNICAL ENG, as dey r ALL relevant in d OIL and GAS INDUSTRY. Ask GOD 2 guide U & b wit U ALWAZ, & U'l NEVA go astray. Takia...

+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast