+ Reply + New Job/Topic

Topic: AWS CWI Certification vs. MSc vs. Training In CAESAR II, PDMS, Auto Plant etc

AWS CWI Certification vs. MSc vs. Training In CAESAR II, PDMS, Auto Plant etc

I'm at a point in my life where I need to make a very critical decision, I'm a young Mechanical engineering graduate with very limited funds and time, been in the job market for a while hasnt been too swell, so I need to step my game up a notch but I'm currently in a fix; Which of the above do u fink holds the best prospects for a young Mech Engr with little or no experience trying to startup a career. I rily need to make an informed choice
    AWS CWI certification I'm told is quite valuable with the right contacts; some say an MSc would be a better choice; I'm computer savvy and i enjoy tasks involving research and design so I'm also looking at learning one or two engineering softwares (PDMS,HYSYS etc I dnt evn knw wch one yet)...So I'm in a bit of a quagmire now. If i could afford it I woulda done a combination of some but I cnt right now, I need to start with one,so which ever I decide to do now must give me a good start. Please I need your informed opinions. Bless

Re: AWS CWI Certification vs. MSc vs. Training In CAESAR II, PDMS, Auto Plant etc

I would suggest CWI, like you said with the right contact you are made with it.

Re: AWS CWI Certification vs. MSc vs. Training In CAESAR II, PDMS, Auto Plant etc

Thank mate, Yea, I guess so, but to be honest I'm afraid the job myt bore me cos I don't see it as being very intellectually challenging, dunno tho... that's why I'm seeking opinions. do u have any experience with oil and gas QA/QC or inspection

Hi, if you want to be a professional, let MSc be. But when it comes to professionalism, you also need to think about specialization. If you want to design or participate in FEED, then AutoCAD, PDMS, Ceasar II should be your direction. You can even try the SPED certification. IT Edge projects in lagos offers a good course for these

However, if you are thinking of project controls, you can go the route of CAPM since you sound like you do not have experience yet or PMP if you have 3 yrs experience. There are many training centers that offers a good course for affordable price. Whichever you do, you need to have an edge. As a project controller, you may want to specialize in Document Controls, Lonadek offers a good training on Document controls, if you want to specialize in quality, CWI is a good exam. But it makes you only a welding inspector and total project quality is more than welding inspection.

You can also prepare yourself in Project Controls as a scheduler by learning primavera or MS PRoject. Infact the Microsoft Certification on MS Project is just about N13000, and you can get a deal of about 25,ooo to prepare you for the exam.

However, whatever you do, you need to have a career plan and have a goal. There are many opportunities, but you are only successful where you have prepared yourself. Ask yourself, what one thing will you do happily and go in that direction.
    I

+ Reply