+ Reply + New Job/Topic
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Topic: Airtel sacked all its customer care executives

Re: Airtel sacked all its customer care executives

According to today VANGUARD

Airtel Nigeria denies sacking employees, reduction in salaries

Ikeja – Airtel Nigeria said in Lagos on Monday that it had not sacked any of its employees and did not have any intention of cutting staff salaries.
    Mr Jibril Saba, the organisation’s director, Human Resources, disclosed this at a media briefing following messages circulating in cyberspace, alleging that the company had fired 3,000 call centre agents.
    “Airtel is committed to realising its vision of being the most loved brand in Nigeria and will continue to ensure that the dialogue between its call centre partners and their employees is fruitful and productive.
    “We want to state categorically that as world class organisation, we offer our employees remuneration and benefits comparable to standards across the world and in compliance with the working and labour laws of Nigeria,” he said.
    Sabanoted that “the activities of some disgruntled agents are capable of frustrating investors with good intentions and making nonsense of the Foreign Direct Investment (FDI).”
    He added that the company was planning to employ more workers as part of the plan to reengineer the Nigerian economy.
    “Our plan is to offer new contracts with attendant salaries and benefits based on qualifications and experiences.
    “We will recruit new agents because the vision is to expand the call centre business in Nigeria to 5,000 capacity.”
    The director gave the assurance that the company remained passionate in its quest to continue to provide custome.

It was on air dix evenin on AIT 8 p.m news abuja. NLC hv short there offices down till further notice. No network in airtel lines in abuja

Every where you have Indians at the helm of affairs (Airtel, Dangote etc.), things like this are not uncommon. I was once a victim of this injustice being perpetrated by Indians on Nigeria soil and their narrow-minded Nigerian HR. NLC is just a figure-head and there are no labour laws. For example, go to Dangote Cemet, you will see Indian expartriate labourers, secretaries etc and other positions that are supposed to be occupied by Nigerians. Until, we collectively stand up and do something, the situation may not change for the better. God bless Nigeria!

My sympathy to all those affected. Which way NLC? How long will we continue to / trying to make ends that will never meet at the expense / detriment of others? Here in our country our brothers and sisters use us to grow in multinationals, suggesting unfavorable ideas to expatriates who buys their ideas in order to cut cost for the company. "Let's pay them this, they will still work", "Nigerians? they are ready to work at whatever amount you decide to pay them"
    It is high time our labour law is enforced in this country as long as this world continues atleast to better the lots of workers...
    TRUST IN JEHOVAH THE GIVER OF EVERY GOOD GIFT AND PERFECT PRESENT.HE IS SURELY THERE FOR YOU

I think it is good you posted this here. They should stop acts like this
    Quote Originally Posted by sammie77 View Post
    Pardon me DVT for posting these news on this forum.A close friend of mine called me yesterday from abuja crying that he lost his job along with about 3000 workers.MY GOD,i was in a bad mood over the news,and i began to remember when we were hussling for jobs in lagos together and how things were then.Well,i know my friend and others will be lifted up from shame.
    These indians are funny,and they feel this is there country.I wont blame them,its nigerian government i will blame.
    TRUST IN JEHOVAH THE GIVER OF EVERY GOOD GIFT AND PERFECT PRESENT.HE IS SURELY THERE FOR YOU

author: faithful32

So I basically cant Understand the HR's point. I actually kept wondering his stand point when Agent were on the struggle to get their bonus paid,
    and his opinion when Agent were disengaged, when speculation was all over the atmosphere about their intention and yet No One... none of "them'
    came forth to clarify the issue if it was a misconception. now, its getting out of hand and that's the employees get?
    i believe he is only trying to do cover up.
    I just hope There do what is right cos of the next generation, and righteous sake.
    Allahu......All i want is your Favor

Quote Originally Posted by ayodele000210 View Post

Ikeja – Airtel Nigeria said in Lagos on Monday that it had not sacked any of its employees and did not have any intention of cutting staff salaries.
    Mr Jibril Saba, the organisation’s director, Human Resources, disclosed this at a media briefing following messages circulating in cyberspace, alleging that the company had fired 3,000 call centre agents.
    “Airtel is committed to realising its vision of being the most loved brand in Nigeria and will continue to ensure that the dialogue between its call centre partners and their employees is fruitful and productive.
    “We want to state categorically that as world class organisation, we offer our employees remuneration and benefits comparable to standards across the world and in compliance with the working and labour laws of Nigeria,” he said.
    Sabanoted that “the activities of some disgruntled agents are capable of frustrating investors with good intentions and making nonsense of the Foreign Direct Investment (FDI).”
    He added that the company was planning to employ more workers as part of the plan to reengineer the Nigerian economy.
    “Our plan is to offer new contracts with attendant salaries and benefits based on qualifications and experiences.
    “We will recruit new agents because the vision is to expand the call centre business in Nigeria to 5,000 capacity.”
    The director gave the assurance that the company remained passionate in its quest to continue to provide custome.

So I basically cant Understand the HR's point. I actually kept wondering his stand point when Agent were on the struggle to get their bonus paid,
    and his opinion when Agent were disengaged, when speculation was all over the atmosphere about their intention and yet No One... none of "them'
    came forth to clarify the issue if it was a misconception. now, its getting out of hand and that's the employees get?
    I just hope There do what is right cos of the next generation, and righteous sake.

Quote Originally Posted by ayodele000210 View Post

now check out the Article by faithful32, from :
    Many would remember that over the past few months, there have remained several disagreements between staff of Airtel, Nigeria and the company’s management over several issues; issues which have led two 2 strike actions within the past 5 months. It should be noted that before now, Airtel’s Call Centre had been run by the subcontracted Nigerian firms: CCSNL, HR Index and Bezaleel. Barely three months after the Indians took over from ZAIN, they introduced their own Subcontracting firms: Tech Mahindra and Spanco BPO to ultimately take over from the Nigerians that have until now run the Abuja and Lagos call centre and the shops as well.
    Fast forward: June, 2011. The Indians decided to make some organizational ‘adjustments’. Adjustments that led to the first strike action by the Abuja Call Centre agents. It was decided by the Company’s management that all staff who had gone on leave would be unpaid for those days not worked for; pregnant women to be indiscriminately sacked, termination of medical insurance and delay in the payment of June Salaries. This led to the first strike action which led to the total downing of tools by the Abuja Call Centre agents; an action which led to all customers’ calls being routed to the Lagos call centre. A day later, management had a change of mind and paid staff salaries, the payment of staff salaries that had been on leave and the enrolment of all staff in the National Health Insurance Scheme.
    July 18, 20011. Airtel had declared excessive profits from the 2010 year and decided to award CERTAIN staff bonuses ranging into the millions of naira. One would think this largesse would go round all workers but the Indians decided that some staff where MORE EQUAL than others. Call Centre Agents that did 60% of the work were neglected. Also, staff that joined the call centre from November, 2010 till date were never given the benefits of staff lines prompting them to recharge their lines like any other network subscriber (imagine living by the ocean and washing your face with spittle). These issues led to a strike which involved the NLC that lasted over a week and a half. Finally, certain agreement were reached and the company promised to pay bonuses ON OR BEFORE 31ST AUGUST 2011 as contained in a communiqué issued to all staff; an agreement which it has not been acknowledged till date.
    Monday, 19th September, 2011. After a meeting between Airtel Managent and their subcontracting Indian firms, Spanco Bpo, Tech Mahindra, and representatives of the workers union, it was decided unanimously by Airtel that ‘all staff salaries, effective from 1st October, 2011, would be reduced by at least 60%’ because “…the company needs to survive as the salaries were to hectic for the company to bear’. As such, call Centre Agents that have since the last two years earned N74,070 would now earn N29600; ‘Junior’ supervisors that have earned N180,000 would now earn N72,000 and some Assistant Managers that have earned N240,000 would now earn N96,000 per month!!!! Imagine Airtel ‘needing’ to survive after a $10.7 billion takeover of Zain, the highest ever trans-continental transaction
    Now, with N29,600, how would Call Centre Agents, for instance, pay house rents that range between N80,000 and N450,000 in Lagos and Abuja, buy food, tend to their respective families/friends’ needs then clothe themselves. Seemingly, this is highly IMPOSSIBLE with the newly proposed Airtel salary structures. A corper, for intstance would earn as much as an Airtel Call Centre agent.
    Sandeepn Nair, one of the mangers the Indians brought over was quoted to have said that the call centre job was a job not meant for graduates, since it was so in his country. He also claimed that he started work as a call centre agent in his country (a country that tolerates child labour) at the age of 14! Now at 29, his is a ‘proud’ call centre manager. There have been other indications that the proposed salary reduction was due to the ‘extravagant’ life styles (according to the Indians) of the call centre agents at the Abuja call centre. When one visits the Airtel Call Centre at Abuja during a typical shift, several flashy cars are seen parked and it could be mistaken for a car shop. The Indians on the other hand who earn FAR MORE than the workers still chatter cabs to take them to their various destinations. Also, at the staff canteen, while at least 3 Indian mangers ALWAYS share a plate of rice with a bottle of 7up, call centre agents eat lavishly, and individually as well. (Seriously, no pun intended)

This is outrageous!!! What can we, the citizens, do to salvage the situation??
    I tell u most solemnly, desperate times calls for desperate measures! I wonder if our puppet-president would react at all...

Fellow Nigerians!!!......airtel operations in nigeria is going down any moment!!!! This is following d sack of over 3000 naija call center workers, d entire call center staff. NLC wiv the support of labour has officially announced d shut down of airtel entire operations in nigeria after d indian slavedrivers have failed 2 revert its despicable callous policy of reducing its staff strenght by 50% and also paycut of 60% amounting to 29k salary, wiv 6days work in a week, 8hours per day!!! And annual leave reduced from 36days 2 6days. ...we have just shutdown d surulere shop, ilupeju shop and d wuse shop in abuja as you read dis!also d server in abuja shutdown so no airtel coverage in abuja now......please join us nigerians and fight to end slavery import by dese indian slavedriver
    and wisdom demands you get an alternate line!!!! As airtel operations will be fully grounded any moment!!! Spread d word!!!

I got d above as a mail dis morning from a friend. Good one from NLC and d staff. Aluta Continua!

Quite pathetic.bt i wonda y we focus our energy in d wrong direction.indians,lebanes etc cnt maltreat nigerians if we dnt maltreat ourselve.pple complain of julius berger transpvrtin their workers in trailers n i ask dnt nigerian companies do it?dnt nigerians sit ontop of overloaded trucks n travel long dstances.an external crack start wit internal crack.those guys ar only copying wat dey see us (nt d govt) 2ourslf.i don talk my own,if una like mak una yab me.

Quote Originally Posted by mosunjoseph View Post
    Quite pathetic.bt i wonda y we focus our energy in d wrong direction.indians,lebanes etc cnt maltreat nigerians if we dnt maltreat ourselve.pple complain of julius berger transpvrtin their workers in trailers n i ask dnt nigerian companies do it?dnt nigerians sit ontop of overloaded trucks n travel long dstances.an external crack start wit internal crack.those guys ar only copying wat dey see us (nt d govt) 2ourslf.i don talk my own,if una like mak una yab me.
    i mean wat dey see us do 2each other

Its a pity, imagine d stupid excuses these useless indians r putting up 4 for their actions. I support d NLC shutting down their servers in Abuja. Well, I've always said dt whenever ur working in companies run by Indians, Lebanese and Chinese keep ur eyes at d exit door always.
    Well, @MosunJoseph said it all: they r only doing wat we taught dem. This crap must stop.

+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast