+ Reply + New Job/Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Topic: Age Requirement is Unconstitutional (Pls Read This)

Age Requirement is Unconstitutional (Pls Read This)

It is a usual practice by recruiting organizations to specify age requirements as part of their eligibility criteria. In most vacancies the maximum age for entry level applicants is usually pegged at 27/28 and in some ridiculous circumstances 24/25. After consulting the 1999 Constitution I discovered that this practice is unconstitutional as it is a form of discrimination.

Section 42 subsection 2 states that “No citizen of Nigeria shall be subjected to any disability or deprivation merely by reason of the circumstances of his birth”. Ladies and gentlemen your date of birth and hence your age is a circumstance of birth so also is your sex and ethnicity. Employers have been getting away with this constitutional violation because nobody has challenged the practice rather people go about doctoring their ages so as to meet up with these ridiculous age requirements.

The following are the only jobs that the constitution has placed age restrictions and these jobs are mostly electoral office positions;
    1) President ; must be 40 years old...section 131 subsection 2b
    2) Vice president; same as that of the president... section 142 subsection 2
    3) Senator; must be 35 years old...section 65 subsection 1a
    4) House of representative; must be 30 years old... section 65 subsection 1b
    5) Governor ; must be 35 years old...section 177 subsection 1b
    6) Deputy Governor; ; same as that of the Governor... section 187 subsection 2
    7) Members of the house of assembly; must be 30 years old... section 106 subsection 1b

Other jobs include state commissioners and special advisers to governors (which have the same requirements as those of members of the house of assemble) and ministers and special advisers to the president of the federation (which have the same requirements as those of the House of Representatives).

Ladies and gentlemen, taking into account our erratic educational system with its numerous strikes, most students especially those in federal and state higher institutions end up graduating in their mid twenties and when you then factor in the one year NYSC and the waiting period of prospecting for jobs (which could range from months to years) you will notice that a significant number of graduates would have exceeded the maximum age limits placed by prospective employers.

Dear naija jobbers, the wind of change is blowing and we should not just sit and watch our rights been trampled upon and I think now is the time to act. In developed countries you will be prosecuted if you dare place age requirements for any job vacancy.

By the grace of God, when the new government kicks off we should bring this issue to the attention of the national assembly or on the other hand we can go to the courts using a prospective employer as a scapegoat since it is a constitutional matter.
    Please members of the House your suggestions and contributions are seriously needed in this matter of great importance.

I do not want to lie about my age because it is not a crime and I shouldn’t be made to suffer for it.

God bless you all.
    Lordmercy likes this.

Re: Age Requirement is Unconstitutional (Pls Read This)

My guy why u dey vex?i am facing d same prblm wit u.pls b calm n dnt let ur anger mislead u 2twist d constitution.its so clear there is notin wrong in stating age requirement.when ur time comes,u wil get ur job or god wil bles u so mch,u wil b an employer.pls b calm.i undstnd hw u fil

hmmmmmmmm na wah oooooooooooooooooo

@Mosunjoseph, (1) I no de vex (2) I am not twisting the constitution. I am just really concerned about a violation of a right. I have spoken to a couple of lawyers and I am still in a the process of consulting with more. But so far so good, all of them agree that sex and age requirements are wrong and unconstitutional. And as for your prayer I say amen to that as I look forward to being an employer of labour. And I also wish you luck as well.

*if you know any lawyer, then ask the person and see if i am twisting the constitution.
    1love

@terryhonest,
    I am in full support of this project.Not because I am one old jobless graduate,but because I see alot of folks lying with impunity about their age just to have a job.
    I refuse to do that.Many pips I know refused to lie about their ages too and they finally got a job.
    As we encourage people to always speak the truth about their ages,we should also fight that senseless age barriers placed by these employers,esp govt agencies.
    Total Elf advertised for a job last year and I read the advert,they were very careful not to mention age.But our own NLNG will always be bold to peg age limit,so with NNPC.
    If FG pegs age limit for NYSC at 30,why will any employer expect you to have finished NYSC and also be below 25/26?(this is highly obtainable though) but we must follow the standard approved for NYSC.
    Carry go,we dey your back.

@poster,dont mind our employers who always go with age limit.Especially access bank with their 24 yrs age limit.am in support of what u are doing.

@sammie 77 & Jajamark...thank you guys for the encouragement.

terryhonest if there is any way you will need my help let me know. I am in full support.
    L

You've our full support. With the hardship Nigerians face in school and manage to graduate with pass (even if they've first-class brains) because of corruption in our educational system, graduates have a hard time getting jobs. And after spending years searching for a job, some kolomentalist will now put age limits for employment. As if human brains expire by 30. mtscheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!
    V

You are on the right track and have my full support. YOU ARE HIGHLY CARRIED!!!
    S

terryhonest, I really feel you on this issue you brought to the house I think we need to take it beyond this blog site although it is good as you drew the attention of the NHJ members to this issue of "indirect killing of peoples' dream" by reason of age. I want to categorically say here that I will want you to carry me along in the whole process as of escalating the issue. You can contact me on [email protected]

Heads up for terryhonest!!!
    ^

Terryhonest man u have done very well am with you, Companies have really used it against the Masses. I'll like lets start by giving this issues a plenty of exposure and awareness in all the media tools available.

Thanks a lot for the support, I really do appreciate your comments. The elections have taken center stage of activities at the moment, so for now I just want to start creating awareness. As soon as a new political dispensation starts, we would then plot our line of action and pursue it from there.

1love people and God bless you all!

+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast