+ Reply + New Job/Topic

Topic: What is the best answer to this job interview question?

What is the best answer to this job interview question?

Fellow Naijahotjobites,what is the best answer to the above job interview question?meaningful contributions will be highly appreciated.Thanks

The Question is dat:if u r asked by an interviewer that: 'why did u leave ur last job?'
    What is the best answer to this question?
    Thanks

Re: What is the best answer to this job interview question?

Well, I think as for me personally, the straight response would be, "I felt/know that we were not mutually benefiting." The job now demands more, while the satisfaction is too little or not commensurate to what I give in. I desire a job that we'll be mutually satisfied and no doubt this is why I'm @ ur coy applying for this specific position.

###My opinion###

Refine r answer based on r comfort level honesty. Simply bcos 1. I like to exercise M??y?? brain 2.Job security. or Give a "group" answer if possible; for instance "Our department was consolidated or eliminated.

Refine your answer based on you?r comfort level
    and? honesty. Simply bcos 1. I like to exercise my? brain 2.Job security. or Give a "group" answer if possible; for instance "Our department was consolidated or eliminated.

Thats easy, u simply tell them why u left. And i know for sure dat we all dont leave our jobs for the same reason. Some might have been sacked, some layed off, downsizing, rightsizing, termination of contract, victims of mass recruitment, search for a better job in terms of career or self actualization, no intrinsic satisfaction from our jobs, no mutual interpendence or congruency as Mr. Koleefem05 highlighted. In all, the most important thing is to identify ur own reasons or consequences that led to u leaving ur erstwhile job and then cushion it in such a way that wil be palatable and convincing to ur interviews. U should also note that there are times u answer a blunt i dont know. Whatever u do, do not tell a lie as there is no perfect liar and lies can always be uncovered. If u can state why u left ur previous job i can drop my insights. Cheers.

Sorry i meant "victims of mass retrenchment".

Meant to say
    "convincing to ur interviewers".
    "if u can state why u left ur previous job i can drop more insights".

A good answer to that question would be; I left my previous job due to lack of motivation and challenges cos i'm someone who needs these things in order to excel and do more to develop in my abilities in line with my career progression. Now giving such an answer would definitely lead to more questions such as; what kind of motivation were you lacking?. What type of challenges were you facing?. Then this is where you would really need to be assertive in your thinking by being more specific with those things you were really lacking @ the previous job. When u're able to pull this off without any trouble, then the interviewer becomes more interested in you cos he would want to know the kind of person that you are and your worth, then now you begin to exert your self-confidence on the interviewer and the cards might just get turned in your own favour.

+ Reply