+ Reply + New Job/Topic

Topic: INEC contracts & CHAMS recruitment. Where are we

INEC contracts & CHAMS recruitment. Where are we

INEC signs contracts for DDC machines

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) confirmed on Sunday that it has finally signed all contracts for the supply of 132,000 units of Direct Data Capture (DDC) machines to be used for voter registration in January 2011.

Zinox Technologies will supply 80,000 units at a cost of $1,771.73 each, Haier Electrical Appliances 30,000 at $1,699.60 per unit, and Avante International Technology 22,000 at $1,699.60 each.

The unit cost includes all taxes and charges, and the machines are to be delivered in 35 days, according to a statement by Kayode Idowu, the Chief Press Secretary to INEC Chairman Attahiru Jega.

On November 2, the INEC signed the contract with Zinox, raising its original allocation from 30,000 units to 80,000.

Avante signed an agreement to supply 20,000.

But Haier Technologies of China refused to sign the agreement for the supply of the remaining 32,000 because of what it described as stringent conditions which included the direct supply of the machines to the stores of the INEC in all the 36 states.

A source in the INEC told Daily Independent that Haier was asking for a review of the terms of the contract to cover the cost of the nationwide delivery.

Another condition it wanted reviewed was the delivery date of two weeks.

Idowu said on Sunday that all the contracts have been signed, without explaining whether the INEC finally met the conditions stipulated by Haier.

Still on election matters, the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) has knocked the plan by the National Assembly (NASS) to smuggle a clause into the Electoral Act that will regulate party primaries.

A statement issued in Abuja on Sunday by ACN National Publicity Secretary, Lai Mohammed, urged the state Houses of Assembly to reject the clause because it is undemocratic and robs the parties of the opportunity to determine how their candidates will emerge.

To him, asking all parties to amend their constitutions and to adopt the for primaries is like prescribing one medicine for all ailments.

‘’This is wrong. It is not for the (NASS) or the INEC to tell all parties how to conduct their primaries. Democracy cannot grow through such regimentation. We reject it in its entirety!

‘’The talk about internal democracy, as a reason for regulating party primaries, by the PDP-led National Assembly, is a smokescreen, a self-serving move.

“The real intention is to satisfy a faction of the PDP, a party that has a huge problem that may prevent many from getting the party’s ticket,” the ACN said.

‘’Yes we believe in internal democracy. But for democracy to thrive, it cannot be regulated in political parties. Parties are voluntary associations. People must be free to join whichever one they like, once they are willing to abide by their own rules and regulations, their own constitutions, as long as such constitutions do not offend the Nigerian constitution.

‘’There is also the issue of cost. If you say all parties must conduct their primaries in the 774 local governments and the 36 states, who will provide the huge funds for such venture?”

Mohammed noted that even in advanced democracies, there is no uniformity or regimentation in the way candidates emerge.

Parties in the United Kingdom, Australia, and Canada do not use primaries to pick their candidates, unlike in the United States.

“Yet,” he argued, “No one has accused parties in the UK, Australia or Canada of lacking internal democracy, nor has anyone described their democracy as inferior to that of the U.S.”

In his own reaction, a member of the House of Representative, Olakunle Salako (PDP Ogun State) warned that it will be counter productive for the NASS to enact a law that will perpetuate its members in office.

He said any attempt by the legislators to sit tight in office against the wish of voters may lead to their kidnap and assassination by others who want to be lawmakers.

Salako was reacting to report of plans to make it mandatory for political parties to give NASS members the right of first refusal to primary tickets.

He said this will deny the country the opportunity of electing intelligent persons to serve as legislators.

His words: “We are there as members of the (NASS) to make laws for the good governance of the nation, and it is there in the Constitution that NASS members will renew their mandates every four years.

“Now is time for us to go back to our people and seek new mandates.

“Imagine a situation where all the parties will be requested to return all Reps, and all Senators; it is very unlikely that the public will support it, it is even very unlikely that those expected to enjoy will enjoy it. Today we are talking about kidnapping, tomorrow we are talking of assassination.

“There are so many people outside there who are as good as some of us, if not better, who think they can offer better representation than some of us.

“Now when you ask members to perpetuate themselves in office – which means you are telling those that are outside that they can not come to the NASS to represent their people – it is likely to increase the number of assassinations, the rate of kidnapping will go up, untimely death will happen.

“Some of us are in our fifties, we don’t want to die young.”

http://With all this grammar now, where do we, CHAMS hopefuls stand? This whole scenerio is getting more of dramatic to me dan real. but really, it feels good to be a major cast in the production of this worthy movies, perhaps until the reality comes and we are called to resume work

Re: INEC contracts & CHAMS recruitment. Where are we

@dynamicfellow,i rily don't think its inec that is holdin baq chams MT2010 program but ncc/house of rep.remember during d 1st interview stage it wuz mentioned dat if taken,u wld spend 4-6mnths on sim card reg.At chams recently concluded AGM it wuz stated that they signed a contract wit ncc 2 carry out sim reg.d senate has approved d budget bt d members of d house of rep av rejectd it 2ice.i guess lobbyin is still goin on

@ dynamic fellow...na wa o.u mean d waiting has just started?4weeks has turned to 4months.dis is not funny at all o.And nobody is saying anything abt it..no mail from chams telling us to wait some more or whateva.No update,nothing.God dey!!!

I can only recommend prayers at this junction that all those who are standing at the door of our opportunity should be moved that we might take that which belongs to us...
    @Dynamic thanks for keeping us posted on the comings n goings
    d X is back...

Nobody is saying anything.Wats happening?Any info on when we're likely to resume?Somebody shld pls say something ooo.

PLEASE, HOUSE.i HAVE AN ADVICE FOR ALL CHAMS HOPEFULS.DON'T SIT AT HOME,WAITING FOR THEIR CALL.YOU CAN START SOMETHING ELSE,WHILE YOU WAIT.
    AS FOR ME,I AM PROCESSING MY MASTERS AT UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN AND I ALSO GOT A GRADUATE LEVEL JOB ELSEWHERE.CHEERS.

Quote Originally Posted by xhale99
    @dynamicfellow,i rily don't think its inec that is holdin baq chams MT2010 program but ncc/house of rep.remember during d 1st interview stage it wuz mentioned dat if taken,u wld spend 4-6mnths on sim card reg.At chams recently concluded AGM it wuz stated that they signed a contract wit ncc 2 carry out sim reg.d senate has approved d budget bt d members of d house of rep av rejectd it 2ice.i guess lobbyin is still goin on
    u r very right xhale99. lets pray Mr. Speaker's 5 man committee brings good news to us. i am also fully aware of what is going on at that end. But honestly, i think wat we need with those rep members is prayers now, cos they are so passionate about throwing the issue into the bins.

@pam60, nobody is talking cos nobody knows wen we shall be called. i guess the best we can do is wat we r doing now-- monitoring events of things in Chams. I trust xhale99 and yeggy would always keep us posted with up-to-date info.

One luv!

+ Reply