+ Reply + New Job/Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Topic: WHAT'S THE NEXT STEP AFTER YOUR NYSC?

Re: WHAT'S THE NEXT STEP AFTER YOUR NYSC?

I'm a batch A stream 1 corps member serving in Iloffa. P.O.P's 12th of feb. Perception and determination are all that matters as regards this topic.
    Some people work their postings to cities where cost of living is much higher than the rural areas and the hope of saving is almost impossible. The catch for them is the exposure and the lure of retainership offered by their employers.
    Some accept their postings to the rural areas where cost of living is lower, saving is possible but there's no desire/chance of continuity.
    I fall into the 2nd category. And this is what i did: i decided to use my plenty idle time for profitable activities, i.e skill acquisition and i decided to save at least 70k outta my stipends (federal allowee 9775 minus 200 bank charges + local govt allowee 2000 + place of primary assignment 600). I offered my skills (I.T) and other services to augument what is left to spend in my stipend (i organised santa show during christmas and it was very profitable).
    Wherever you find yourself, you can define the situation. Take that with you as you round up the service year. Jah bless!

What's The next step after NYSC...............Am a batch A corp member serving in Edo State....i av read 2ru all d contributn about saving or no saving.well,all goods and fine.But by this time one is still xpectin miracle to happen without adequate preparation,one is a faillure already.i could rememba when we were at the orietation programme organised for new batch A corp member that is we 2008,our AI mention something that surprised me,she said 4rm d look of things,corp member believe in themeselve dt they are at the top already not consider what will happen next,she said,if the allawee increased to #1m,corp member will not save even a dinne,to be sincere ,some corp member are in money collecting a mthly allawee ranging 4rm #20,000 to #52,000 xpecially those that are serving in Banks,But what surprised is that they are the one normally complain b4 mth end.u can imagin a corp member furnished his appartment with all xpensive gadget all on mdgage which they pald as the money comes in,and for we collectig stipence,Gloly be to God.if those that are collecting Big money Canot save what about we that are collecting stipence?
    The Bible said one should be as wise as a serpent and humble as dove.my fellow corp member,no matter what the situation my be,i think we can turn the challengies we face to opportunity by adequate planning 4 ourslve.no matter what u are collecting one must invest in capacity building,this will form part of ur skill acquisition after the service year,this av help me a lot during the corpers week of batch B ,being a photographer,i Snap pix and make my money,anyone can do it even U.i could remember some years ago about the bumb blast at ikeja military cantoment where many lives were lost,while some were sympathising,some people were busy snaping,recording videos and people mak momey.after a week calender,almanac musik,home video started coming out which make people millionaire.
    As a future Orieted corp member,i think if we plan very well,our situation will be better of,if we decided to affect other peoples lives possitively,God will open way.So if u are in a good possition to av a savings..........Good luck and if we are not previledge to mak savings all is wel,but what matter is what u bcom after the service year cos no body is planning for u.i will like to stop here.my no is 08036110024,e-mail[email protected],asrodam.blogspoto.com is under construction about my NYSC EXPERIENCE.
    Best regards
    To God be the glory

groom urself, pray 2 God and get a job/ a business. i know it's not that simple

Wao! a lot has been said on d topic, "AFTER SERVICE, WHAT'S NEXT". I'm a batch B 2008/09 corp member serving in Rivers state were corpers are doomed to the classroom irrespective of d quaification and this is against the section 9, subsections 1-6 of the NATIONAL YOUTH SERVICE CORP DECREE (DECREE 51). I made a refrence to this bcos i was in search for the justification for condemning us to the intolerant community schools to waste a yr of their lives nt ours, and came about the decree for this whole shit!! scheme.

Addressing the matter from our own point of view as corper in rivers where our FG alawee is being paid at d middle of every other month and the state alawee being paid at d end of service year, how do dey expect us to cope wdis way? of course,borrow as much as u can from bouyant colleagues nd pay back maybe when u get paid. So somebody, tell me how u want to save something of d earnings, to make matters worse everything in rivers is expensive nd i av never seen such in any part of Nigeria. Imagine, a place called "d treasure base of d nation" were nigeria's major source of income lies(Crude Oil), In d village of my PPA we buy a litre of petrol for #150 to pump water for domestic use. I was almost beaten up by the so called useless youths of dis community that don't know against whom to sheathe their cutlasses nd knifes and once u're a stranger u will be seen as a usurper, u know.

It's gud to say u can keep accruing work experience during dis period, but what is d faith of someone who is forced to accrue teaching experience that wouldnt be useful for him/her in his/her career? Well, we still thank GOD that d state alawee is kept 4 us till end of service year and i think now is d time to ponder over what to do with d money which is in range of 55k-110k and if anyone here has an advice on wht one might possibly invest in something like financial intelligence, i'lld really appreciate it.

Thanks all!!
    Mrgds,<br />Sulaimon, O.W.<br />&quot;Giving is Getting&quot;

thanks for this question.
    God is love

keep more suggestions coming in
    what was ur nysc experience like?
    what is next after service as a student graduate?......marriage? job? education?

You know what?? I'M LOVING THIS FORUM!!! Coincidentally, the author of this post was a very good friend of mine at Unilag, when we were in Diploma II... i think that was in 2003 (though this is still subject to confirmation from him). Its good that issues as this are brought up and thrown open on the floor. Very good. Big ups, Chinexannex.
    What will be will surely be... Dont be in doubt.

I WRITE TO VERIFY UR POST RICHIE BUT I KNOW TOO MANY RICHARDS!(WHICH 1 R U?)

Oh well, that's my English name, but i still have a native name. Maybe you could send me your Yahoo email address so i could give it to you. Cheers
    What will be will surely be... Dont be in doubt.

Thanks for the topic, well i could say that my service year was nothing to write home about. i serve in Niger State. Before my service year i had a business am running. I engaged my self in Research and Computer Analyst. I'm married with one kid, well i thank God but i want to leave the biz for another better over.
    Thanks

any more suggestion on what a corp-member can do after service?

Hey people, corpers wioo, waoo.Uno wat i served in a school in a town called Aboamege in ebonyi state, ilike all my other corpers i used the time to flex up, u see the chicks were very willin so we were almost in town all through out service year and calabar was not far from the place so we used to go there to run things, we just thought when we finnally finish we will definitely get a job but nor be so we come see am after service it took another 4 to 5 months b4 we could even know what to do with our lives, but the issue there is that most employers want u to have all the required qualifications b4 they even employ u, so i will advise, corpers even as u are in service get yrself trained yr degree is just a stepping stone, u have to continue reading and upgrading yrself, definitely as u apply possibly with yr qualification u might get the job but even if u don't continue reading.
    Nowadays i.t is nw the craze in the world, u can possibly go for an i.t career learn one or two programmes and start somewhere, like me i was fascinated with web designing after service so i learnt it, surprisinly i gt a deal for 350k to design a site shortly afterwards, so it's nt about sitting down and giving up hope look for where u are creative and gifted and try to develop it, uno wat ideas rule the world.Alwys think positive and do not ever give up trying.
    Let me cool off here.
    Catch ya.

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12