+ Reply + New Job/Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: WHAT'S THE NEXT STEP AFTER YOUR NYSC?

WHAT'S THE NEXT STEP AFTER YOUR NYSC?

HI,

THIS IS A MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION.

A LOT OF CORP MEMBERS SEEM NOT TO ACHIEVE ANYTHING TANGIBLE WITHIN THE SERVICE YEAR AND END UP FRUSTRATED WITH LIFE.
    I'M A BATCH A 2008 CORP MEMBER AND WOULD LIKE TO CREATE A FORUM ON THIS TOPIC.
    PLEASE KINDLY SUGGEST AN OPINION FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE SERVING HOUSE MEMBERS.

TANX

COURTESY: CHINEX

Re: WHAT'S THE NEXT STEP AFTER YOUR NYSC?

a lot of corp members regard their service year as a source of enjoyment not knowin what they are going to face in favour market,sorry l mean labour market.
    corps members should save out their meagre allawee to invest in business after service.
    some spend all the money extravangantly,without saving,it not good.i think i used my own to buy a plot of land.i served in remote area in akwa ibom where theres no light,bt well water or sream,no tarred road bt okada dey. with dat i spent less,while some of my colleagues run to the cities to spent like oil workers .
    Ok,truly egba boy,dcc obj. At yaba.

well, talking about saving your allawee, that is a very good idea. i saved a little bit of mine and where i had my primary assingment, i was only paid transport allawance of 3000 naira. just tell me how one is supossed to live on that let alone save some. how ever, the amount of money u save ve noting to do with what u earn. maintain low profile for a while, and do some thing with your saved allawee. i tell u by the time u stay 2 months or more without a job, you will understand what am saying. good luck

I saved money during my service year (batch B 07/0 a respectable "N45000" which constitute almost 50% of my federal and state allowance. Would you mind suggesting a lucrative venture i shd ave invested in? My join us in fighting for d scrapping of NYSC and stop wasting ur time.

well talking about saving allolwee, it really a good idea. first let's consider pple like me dat don't get money from parents or anny other person, so how do i survive. i depend on my allowee for feeding, transportation, montly up keep, etc. how do i save d money? one can only save wen u have a supporter.

I served in a very remote village in Ebonyi State, no light, no water(we drank pure water throughout and use the brown water from a so-called dam for cooking, bathing i.e after adding one cap of Izal and washing, you need to see my white clothes), no roads(the only available tarred road that lead to the nearest town is 1hr on bike. we go to this town only on clearance day because each ride to and fro is 500 naira(corpers are regarded as the richest in the state! The private school where I did my primary assignment had a very greedy and wicked Proprietor, he refused to pay us our salary of 4,000 a month, yet the students pay their fees regularly! By the 4th month, he decided to pay us for only one month, saying that there is no money, we continued working because some of the students were really intelligent and humble, and because of God, by the 7th month, he called us to say that he can no longer pay 4,000 but 2,000 naira, we did not argue with him, he paid for only two months and stopped, by the time we were about passing out, he said that the months he is owing us will be paid through our bank account, but he can't pay the former 4,000 that we worked but 2,000. We were really angry when we left, to add insult to the injury, he collected money from the students with the intention of organising a send-forth for us, of course he didn't! The allowee was barely enough for to keep body and soul together let alone saving!

@all

I am a batch A 2008 corp member servin in jos, plateau state capital.i couldnt have said anything but this topic interest me so much. SAVING YOUR ALLAWEE...
    I had a nasty experience in Jos and i believed that the experience worth it though where i served is a place where i was exposed to so many things.

I did not serve in a village so you know there are lots of challenges in the town, for instance, i pay 140 naira daily for Okada and i eat a plate of 100 naira daily.

The state government no dey pay and even the local government no dey pay sisi! Ask anybody serving in jos to prove me wrong. It is only the transportation allawi from my employer and federal allawi na im i dey spend.

I had to rent where to stay! and House rent in Jos is extremely high! all these inside my allawi becos we have a policy in my family, once you are serving you are on your own (OYO). So life wasnt funny for me during the service year, now tell me wetin i wan save?

But my advise for any corper is that make sure your spend that one year wisely. If you are a teacher, teach well and if you are in any office, do your work well so that be the time you are not there, they will know someone is missing!

After all, you are where you are becos you are serving your fatherland, stop complaining and move on. In my own case, i could have been in the UK by now but my visa was refused cos i never serve, so NYSC is a necessity, you cant do without that certificate. It is mandatory and compulsory!

After NYSC, let people advise you on what next, not only your own decision and pray for God's direction and pls i will like to say dont settle for less...no let me put it better, you know your self best, so go for what you can do. you see some people, they drop their CV's everywhere without asking themselves am i qualify for this job? can i do it if i am employed? Because people will just drop cv's everywhere and after sometime they will start to complain that they are not called for interview. Let me tell you something, each time you are sending your CV to a company or organization, is things on your CV correspond to what they need? all i am trying to say is that at times or most times you need to edit your CV. Put in there what will make the org or company get interest in you. Different kinds of Jobs needs different types of CV.

I am currently having an offer but i think i am more than what is been offered and the environment seems not to be where i will like to settle down. Don't just accept any kind of offer, if your employer knows you are good, i tell you they will increase your pay when you threatened to leave but be reasonable. You have to know the limit of where you work.They cant give you what they dont have and moreso, no company is a charity home REMEMBER!
    Like to put a stop here, a word is enough for the wise ! Am not claiming to be ....... the gods are wise...lol
    If no be God, I for don Pai

wow what a fantastic topic coming at the right time. i am a youth corper serving in calabar(batch a) 2008. we will pass out very soon but the most important thing on my mind right now is getting a good job. iv acquired a reasonable wealth of experience by virtue of where i am serving. NYSC is an ample opportunity to acquire knowledge. before now, i never knew i could work in a very busy office, under supervision every second. at first i couldn't cope with it but with time, i adjusted properly. if anybody is able to save up some reasonable amount of money during NYSC, its best to start up something with that while waiting for a job opportunity. if u cannot save, hold on to the experience you are acquiring. open up ur mind to the experience it surely will pay u on the long run. a lot of people doing well today in the coporate world have one or two rough experiences to share during service year. there are two sides to everything; positive and negative. while we all fight against NYSC, lets look at the positive impact it has created in the society. thanks you all

house abeg wetin be the latest fomat for cv...lol
    YoU CAN MAKE GREAT SUCCESS IF YOU REALLY WANT TO

Junior Member surajudeenomolabake's Avatar

Good topic is it! I am a batch A 2008 corps member currently serving this nation at Illela (border town btw Nig & Niger rep) in Sokoto state.I sincerely think that the issue of saving our meagre allawee is irrelevant here.That is not the aim of the programme,which is to foster national unity but bcos of the poverty level in the country,corpers would go to the extreme of starving themselves all to keep something tangible.I know of corpers that don't eat they only take water and when they cook,it would be without,u know what i mean.This is really unfair.I think we should try to save if posible #20,000 to purchase new wears & shoes and also for typing and editing of CVs and also for some running about after the service year.We should be able to develope ourselves further like joining a professional body or upgrading our skill during the period in question.
    Imagine the world without Chemistry-Nuts is it!

WHAT'S THE NEXT STEP AFTER YOUR NYSC is highly dependent on the corp member and not the Government as people may think. There is no job in Nigeria just bcos we have not created it. Each and every corp member should try as much as possible to develop one or two skills to help its society. For Christ sake, why are we graduate?, spirit cannot create jobs for us, neither do we leave it for our grand ma and dad to do it, we can do it now that we are young, let save Nigeria from this mess so that our future generations can benefit from it.

thres a lot to think of after the nysc. am a badge A 2008, after the service year, alot of us mit not want to b where we served and our parents dont live wher we want to base. do u depend on d uncle or the friend that lives where u went to look for brighter future 4 how long. my dear, what of lookin for this jobs? will u beg 4 transport mny for how long? anyway i dont need to advise any body, till wen d time comes..........

let me start by introducing mai self. Oscaroshar Efe is the name. the next step is 2 b over hardworking. Many Naija grads. r 100perct dependent either on their parents or their friends.LETS TRY 2 WORK TINS out ourselves. Anyway, BABA GOD dey 4 we side kamkpe.

+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast