+ Reply + New Job/Topic

Topic: Postal (zip) code not the same as International dialing code!!!

Postal (zip) code not the same as International dialing code!!!

I understand when people don't know the postal codes (or zip code, it's the same thing) and ask for help. That is ok. Always ask if you don't know.

To help NHJobbers, I just want to correct this wrong impression. We often need it in our job applications, and making this silly mistake can cost you the job(cos no sensible organization asking for this info would take one so misinformed!)

International dialling code is NOT, I repeat, NOT, the same thing as postal (or zip) code, for God's sake. Visit:
    http://www.nigeriapostcodes.com/views/ to get yours!

eg: Area: Obanikoro
    Postcode: 100232

V

Re: Postal (zip) code not the same as International dialing code!!!

Just for informaton of all, Some job applications come with ZIP code requests. In that regard Nigeria does not use ZIP code as it's a function of American postal system of which Nigerian international ZIP code is 00176-0000, but if you leave it blank, no one will penalize you. Coming to Postal codes as used in Nigeria,
    Not all areas in Nigeria have Postal code because if you check the data base of Nipost, a place like karu, Abaji, gwagwalada etc has no recorded postal code, because the streets are not documented thus this makes a rubbish of the postal code requested in some job sites.

Then use the one closest to you, or one where your P. O. Box is located. Everywhere can't have a Postcode, not even in Europe. As for zip, it's just American English.
    V

So many people including me dont have a post office box. Come to think of it, how come a post office located in a rural area dont have a post code in their website. If you navigate the postal codes for Nigeria, it's requires you to fill in the area, location and street before the code can be generated. For example those recorded for Abuja are only in the main town or capital city. If i live in such areas i mentioned or if you are familiar with Abuja, you'll find out that none of these areas are deemed closest to these locations and filling anything near means that i am wrong. I still maintain that postal codes as required in some job applications are just unnecessary and if you leave it blank, nothing will happen. If you have filled the US visa lottery or some foreign form, you'll see that there is a column for-if your country does not require ZIP code, then you click the 'not required sign' or what ever there.
    Google Nigerian ZIP code and you'll see the figure i posted earlier (00176-0000). I still maintain that it's not important in Nigeria.

If it wasn't important, they won't ask. And... fill it in if you like, I really don't care. That isn't the point of this post. This post is just to correct the wrong impression that "234" is Nigeria's post code. It mustn't be just for job applications. I'm just sharing information... or is it now a crime?
    V

+ Reply