PETROLEUM TRAINING INSTITUTE (P.T.I)
ENTRANCE EXAMINATION
PAST Q&A YEAR 2000

Instruction: Read each passage carefully and answer the questions that follow
PASSAGE 1.
What we need now in Nigeria are real entrepreneurial innovators who are able to master our industrial environment and rise to the challenges posed by the need to produce goods not only for our immediate consumption but also for storage and export for inter-regional trade and world market
The government is a unique position to reward them and boost their morals by giving due recognition to both bosses and employees of successful companies, particularly small ones, who are making valuable contributions to the economy. The press has an invaluable role to play in this regard by focusing greater attention on problems of our industries; by reflecting a thorough but broad range of consumer expectations; by commissioning studies and encouraging public debates which would
but lead more comprehensive perspectives to the opinion available to us in the search for correspondingly highlighting the nefarious activities of the bad eggs and sharks. As things stand at the moment, institutions are that for the foreseeable future, the non-availability of foreign exchange ( to pay for imported raw material, machinery, spare parts, technical assistance e.t.c) is going to pose serious problem for our industries Our lifeline hangs on our relationship with the international banks.
We have, however failed to appreciate that the banks would be more favorably disposed to a country which has demonstrated its ability to administer its affairs properly and managed its resources judiciously. Correspondingly, they would be wary of a country which through criminal negligence has condoned the siphoning of huge chunks of public funds into private pockets or governments are going to be suspect largely due to the unenviable track record of their predecessors
QUESTION
1. The fundamental desire shown by the writer of this passage is to see the emergencies in Nigeria of ……
a. More stable and honest government b. a more cordial relationship between Nigeria and international banks c. a more local manufacturing business d. thriving local manufacturing business
e. a better informed general public
2. Which of the following view is not express in the passage by the writer
a. the government should reward entrepreneurial innovators b. the wishes of consumers should be made known through the press c. the press should analyze the problem of the indigenous
d. the government should allow complete press
freedom
3. the most important way in which intentional banks are likely to help Nigerians
industries is by………
a. publishing the plight of Nigerian indigenes
b. advertising Nigerian industrial
products c. supplying foreign expert for Nigeria industries d. buying more oil from Nigeria
e. supplying Nigeria with foreign exchange
4. The attitude of the banks to Nigeria government will be determined by
a. the economic condition of the country since independence b. the condition of the
oil market c. the performance of previous government d. the hostility of the
press to the government e. the success of small companies
5. the phrase “lend more comprehensive perspectives to the option available to us”
simply means
a. prevent us b. help us c. encourage us
d. reassure us e. broaden us
The great herald of things to come was Ezekiel, not only in the sense that he predicted the future, but also became in the manner and content of his prophetic ministry, he foreshadowed many of the important religious development which were
Characteristics of the age after the exile. He, rather than Ezra, was the founder of Judaism. He not only pointed toward; bit as we shall see, he represented some of the great elements in Isreal's religious past.
The book which bears his name is outwardly impressive in its orderliness and symmetry and in the careful chronological arrangement of its contents, it purports to present the record of prophecies uttered in the Babylonian Exile between 593 and 571B.C. and for long this was not seriously questioned. Even when other prophetic books had been dissected and assigned to sundry authors and editors this book continued to be regarded by most scholars as having come in its entirely from Ezekiel. Then came a period in which many extreme theories were advanced, assigning much of it to other hands, or presupposing complicated processes of editorial revision, or dating the book to a period much later than the Babylonian Exile, maintaining that Ezekiel's ministry was not exercised in Babylonia but in Palestine, or at least was begun there. Such theories
have been subjected to damaging criticism, and are now somewhat discredited. The account of Ezekiel's minstry and teaching is based on the view that he lived and worked among the exiles in Babylonia, at the period indicated, and that the bulk of the material
in the book comes from him, though, like other prophetic collections, it owes much in its compilation, arrangements transmission to prophetic disciples.

6. Ezekiel was a great herald of things to come because
a. he was a prophet b. he preached about events which were to characterize the period after the exile c. God showed him what was going to happen after the exile d. he ran a prophetic ministry
e. God was with him
7. In his work, Ezekiel
a. was friendly with Ezra b. founded Judaism in conjunction with Ezra c. had a large religious followers d. forged a link between the past and the future e. demonstrated that he was a man of God
8. By and large critics of Ezekiel and his work were
a. successful b. ungodly c. unsuccessful
d. jealous e. angered by his acceptance
9. When other prophetic books were discredited Ezekiel's book was accepted because
a. the people loved him b. the other prophetic writers were not as original c. the critics were biased in their judgment d. he was a great prophet
e. his work was convincingly documented
10. The account of Ezekiel's ministry was
a. compiled with the collaboration of others b. his and his alone c. shared by many writers d. partly composed by him and partly by Ezra
e. produced as a result of God's inspiration

Choose the word or phrase closest in meaning to the underlined word
11. His penury gave him a lifetime of hunger
a. avariciousness b. affluence c. poverty
d. penny-pinching e. greed
12. The bible’s prodigal son became quite wealthy eventually
a. prestigious b. phlegmatic c. arrant
d. pecuniary e. extravagant
13. Don’t eat any innocuous-looking mushroom you see around
a. harmful b. harmless c. innocent
d. immunized e. conspicuous
14. Colossal means
a. a Greek column b. gigantic c. something which has lost too much fluid d. a calamity
e. the sale of colos

For questions 15-27 complete the sentence with the correct options from the list below
15…….listening to the news when I came in
a. There were b. there was c. it was d. there are going to be e. they were
16. They said that……about 20 candidates for the job of a shorthand typist
a. they were b. it will be c. there were
d. it was e. there are
17. He told me to go on…….till seven
a. to work b. worked c. works d. working
e. work
18. Many goods.....tape recorders and cameras find a ready market in every country
a. like b. such a c. such as d. such e. as
19. He acts......he were a general manager
a. as b. if c. as if d. so as e. that
20. Must you say Good morning to everybody in the street?........
a. i needn't b. i mustn't c. i can't d. i do not need e. I’ll have to
21. Could i ring him up? I’d rather.......
a. i visit him b. visited him c. would visit him
d. visit him will visit him
22. Don't study on the examination day. What did he tell you? He told me .......on the examination day
a. no studying b. don’t study c. not study
d. not to study e. to not study
23. I........to gain admission to the college for the past three years
a. have been trying b. tried c. am trying
d. was trying e. try
24. ........a lot of argument for and against car loans in the press recently
a. there are b. there has been c. there have been d. there is e. there was
25. He reported his manager that he........overseas
a. had never been b. never was c. has never been d. is never e. will never be
26. Shall we go to the union? No, thanks you, i do not feel like........
a. go b. going c. to go d. to have gone
e. went
27. I started writing this test at 8.00am. It is 10.00 am now. By 11.00 am i ......it for three hours
a. shall be writing b. have been writing c. shall have been writing d. am writing e. was writing

In the items which follow read carefully the sentence which contains the direct speech.
Then find the alternative which, with the words given; makes the most accurate "reported" version
28. Yesterday father asked “Are you tired?" Yesterday, father asked me.......
a. was i tired b. were you tired c. that i was tire d. if i was tired e. are tire
29. Last Wednesday Joan asked me "Did you come yesterday" Last Wednesday Joan asked me.........
a. had i come yesterday b. did you come yesterday c. if i had come yesterday d. if i had come the day before e. if i had come on Tuesday
30. John said to Jane, 'Don't ride my bicycles' John told Jane............
a. not to ride his bicycle b. to not ride his bicycle c. not to ride his bicycle d. to not ride my bicycle e. that she should not touch his bicycle
31. James shouted, 'i have lost my watch'. James shouted that.........
a. he had lost my watch b. he had lost his watch c. i have lost my watch d. i had lost my watch e. his watch was missing
32. The European Engineer said "why did i come to Africa?" The European Engineer...........
a. asked why he came to Africa b. wondered why he ever came to Africa c. expressed regret for coming to Africa d. wanted to know why he came to Africa

Complete the following sentences with the best alternative offered.
33. If you put that shirt on everyday, you will soon.........
a. wear it in b. wear it out c. wear it off
d. wear if about e. was it out
34. Why don't you.........your coat
a. take off b. take out c. take up d. take over e. take on
35. Please don't ........me, because i may not be able to come.
a. count about b. count of c. count on d. count by e. count with
36. I thought the actors.....The show very well yesterday.
a. put over b. put through c. put in d. put up e. put out
37. Would you.........their number in the telephone book for me?
a. look unto b. look up c. look after d. look on e. look at
38. The Managing Director has agreed ....... an increase in the workers's salaries
a. for b. to c. of d. at e. on
39. Which one of the following is not among "the human senses?"
a. hearing b. reflex action c. vision d. smelling e. taste
40. The petroleum adviser under President Buhari is.....
a. Dr p. Amenechi b. Mr. Aret Adams c. Engr Jackson Gauis Obasaki d. Alhaji Rilwanu Lukman e. None of the above.
41. Which is the present technical adviser to super Eagles in 2000 African Cup of nation
a. Amodu Shunibu b. Tunde Disu C. Bonfere Joe d. Tijani Babangida
e. Clemens Westerholf
42. The director general of the world health organization (WHO) is
a. . Dr Margaret Chan b. Dr olukoye ransome c. Dr gro harlem brusdiland
d. Dr. alberdeen ontalese e. Dr menukaya
43. President Buhari was sworn in as president on
a. 29th may, 1999 b. 29th April, 1998 c. 27th may, 1998 d. 27th April, 1999 e. 29th may, 2015
44. The African footballer of the year 2015 is
a. kanu nwankwo b. austin j.j okocha c. Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang d. mustapha hajji e. george weah
45. The first Nobel Prize was awarded in........
a. 1901 b. 1801 c. 1701 d. 1601 e. 1501
46. NDDC stands for
a. National Development Delta Commission
b. Niger Development Delta Commission c. Niger Delta Development Commission d. National Delta Developmet Commission e. Niger Development Commission
47. Who is the present senate president?
a. chief evans enwerem b. alhaji salisu buhari
c. Bukola Saraki d. dr. chuba okadigbo
e. senator waku
48. Nigerian football association (NFA) head coach is
a. bonfere joe b. Sunday Olise c. tunde disu d. kojo williams e. kashimawo laloko
49. The present principal of the petroleum training institute is..........
a. None b. Engr. tunde onipede c. Engr folivi d. Mr. j.a popo e. Dr. m. i abbas
50. Nigeria was banded from the African national cup for how many editions
A. 1 B. 2 C. 3 D. 4

ANSWERS

1.D 2. D 3. E 4. A 5. E
6. B 7. D 8. C 9. E 10. B
11. C 12. E 13. B 14. B 15. E
16. C 17. D 18. C 19. C 20. B
21. D 22. D 23. A 24. C 25. A
26. B 27. C 28. D 29. E 30. A
31. B 32. A 33. B 34. A 35. C
36. D 37. B 38. E 39. B 40. A
41. D 42. A 43. E 44. C 45.
46. C 47. C 48. B 49. A 50.B
PTI FORM IS OUT
You can apply by going to the website: www.pti.edu.ng. And follow the instruction there.
You can also contact us to help purchase and process your form for you. Call: 08102921883
The form is #6,500.
LATE SALES OF APPLICATION FORM COMMENCES ON THE 25TH APRIL, 2016 AT THE RATE OF N7,500
END OF LATE SALES OF ADMISSION FORM : 20TH MAY, 2016
ENTRANCE EXAMINATION INTO ND AND CERT HOLDS ON 18TH JUNE, 2016.
CONDUCT OF INTERVIEWS FOR ADMISSION INTO HND HOLD BETWEEN 23RD AND 27TH OF MAY, 2016.
INTERVIEW FOR COMMERCIAL DIVING COURSES HOLDS BETWEEN 15TH TO 19TH AUGUST 2016.
THE SALES OF PART TIME FORM WILL COMMENCE ON THE 23RD OF MAY, 2016 AND ENDS ON 12TH AUGUST, 2016.
To pass your P.T.I ENTRANCE EXAMINATION, get our complete preparatory package for just #500.00 (five hundred naira) per subject for the soft copy and #700.00 (seven hundred naira) per subject for the hard copy.
Each preparatory package contains
1. SOLVED PAST Q&A 2000 TO 2015
2. COMPUTER BASE TEST (CBT)
3. SELF-ASSESSMENT TEST (SAT)
4. VIDEO TUTORIALS & REVISION
5. P.T.I EXAM SECRET MANUAL
6. ONLINE PREPARATORY CLASS
7. DAILY SMS ON EXAM TIPS & TRICKS
With this new package we can give you 100% assurance of success. You will see more than 90% of our preparatory questions in your examination and we can even predict your score before your actual exam.
This is your one chance to prepare, have high score and gain admission into P.T.I irrespective of how many times you may have written the exam before.
ORDER FOR THE SOFT OR HARD COPY AND SEAL YOUR ADMISSION.
ORDER FOR THIS PACKAGE BEFORE APRIL 13TH 2016 TO GET ALL THE BENEFITS STATED ABOVE.
NOTE: AFTER APRIL 13TH THE COST MAY DOUBLE AND WE MAY REMOVE SOME FEATURES, SO HURRY NOW.
CALL: 08102921883
EMAIL: [email protected]
FACEBOOK: https://web.facebook.com/Examatoz
BLOG: http://www.examatoz..com.ng
WHATSAPP: 08102921883
OUR ONLINE PREPARATORY CLASS COMMENCE APRIL 3RD 2016.
DONOT MISS ANYTHING. THANKS.