+ Reply + New Job/Topic
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Topic: Employments search (a fraud in nigeria?) experience

Exclamation Employments search (a fraud in nigeria?) experience

I recently saw some old email invite to Job placement on my email and remember how long it took to land my current job.
    I would appreciate if people can share their Job search experience here.
    Mine would be coming soonest

Re: Employments search (a fraud in nigeria?) experience

As a young undergraduate in the early 90’s I studied to my perceived ability, mixing serious lectures with fun (No regrets). I graduated without an extra year but ended-up DASHING almost 3 years to ASUU strikes and delay in NYSC posting turning my 5 year program to 8 year!!!
    That was 12 years ago...but looking back I thank God for the zeal I had as a COPPER! I struggled to get a SIDE job while serving in a Gov school (one of the best move I have made).
    Getting that part time job wasn’t easy, I was a fresh graduate but had the then most sort-after professional certification. But even with that i had to put pressure (submitted my resume over 5x and placed calls to a particular firm) to be shortlisted for test. I passed the company graduate test with flying colors and the company only accepted to place me on Allowance since I lacked NYSC certificate (I only had 3 months to completion of NYCS).
    This same company (where i broke their test score record) refused to change my allowance to salary months after I had finished NYSC( Why are some Nigeria employers wicked!!). Yet I represented them as senior engineer in the fields and have plenty technicians reporting to me!
    They only accepted to regularize my salary years later when I walked out on them...of course I never looked back!
    During my stay with my initial firm I had written and passed many aptitude test; Mobil, shell, total, Addax, UN, NEXEN, MTN, Econet, NNPC, FIRS and many other i can’t remember.( Men, even God no say i spend plenty money on hotel bills and transportation o- graduating from night-bus to flight as the years went by)
    Even with passing test and getting to the final stage (99% of all the listed) and even told of been successfully via phone or email it’s not funny not to hear from these company(s)! ( i wonder why recruiter in Nigeria are soooo wicked seem they enjoy keeping people in the dark)
    Only to later discover names had been swapped and other people getting the offer!!!! In some cases the people been given offer didn’t even attend any of the recruitment processes. (Maybe HR personnel know that they may swap names hence their reason for keeping potential employee in the dark during recruitment)
    Looking at the rate at which our nation produces graduate, i hope people start learning how to be produce something tangible with their hands while in school (I suggest farming, carpentry, welding, tailoring, etc). In the present and future Nigeria those that are able to produce something on their own would be KING!!!

From a friend I know.
    I graduted with 3rd class
    Aplied for jobs for about 18months without been called for any test! I changed my cv and excluded 3rd class and was invited for some test. In d test center I was turned back by mobile and shell! It was not funny well Its not anybody's fault but mine!
    I choose to avoid multinational and Ơ̴̴͡.̮Ơ̴̴͡ for local company, even that was not easy.
    Oh God forgive me all my sins and ignorance! I went to learn computer, learnt autocad but me getting a job was still difficult!
    As a nigerdelta person, I try community well that one no work!
    As God would have it a foreign company advertised for graduate trainee n I just applied with my old cv(3rd class boldly written) I applied and forgot about it! This was 2002! I had forgetten about them when I got a text for test n interview!
    The test n interview where conducted in 2003 by some oyinbo, I passed in flying colours. Not once did the oyinbo me considered my low degree! We went for 6month training abroad, Am still working with them and now hardly spend a complete month in 9ja based on my position! I still wonder where I would be if the company recruitment was handled by nigerians then!

Hmmm

well, from the two true-stories above, one thing is clear:

PERSISTENCE PAYS OFF, BELIEVE IN THE POWER OF YOUR DREAMS & DESIRES; NEVER GIVE UP BECAUSE UR NEXT JOB APPLICATION/INTERVIEW COULD BE YOUR BREAKTHROUGH.

I'm happy 4 d two of you. Though my congrats is heavily 'in arrears,' please accept it all d same.

Cheers!

Hmmm

well, from the two true-stories above, one thing is clear:

PERSISTENCE PAYS OFF, BELIEVE IN THE POWER OF YOUR DREAMS & DESIRES; NEVER GIVE UP BECAUSE UR NEXT JOB APPLICATION/INTERVIEW COULD BE YOUR BREAKTHROUGH.

I'm happy 4 d two of you. Though my congrats is heavily 'in arrears,' please accept it all d same.

Cheers!

Thanks!
    With time everybody's reaction change!!
    I guess it's cos with time we see d same thing diffrently!

Is it legally possible to sue a prospective employer for not getting back to you after informing you that you have successfully passed their test, interview, final stage or whatever? I'd like to know this.

MUC

Quote Originally Posted by sauer View Post
    Is it legally possible to sue a prospective employer for not getting back to you after informing you that you have successfully passed their test, interview, final stage or whatever? I'd like to know this.
    Bros you can try it and tell us if it works. No harm in trial...

Lmfao, make im try abi, thats hilarious.
    @ sauer i doubt that's possible, don't rily see any grounds. even if dat by any chance happens in other countries, it definitely ain't happening here with the kind of justice system we've got, and even if it were, suing a prospective employer won't exactly speak well of you.
    Quote Originally Posted by MUC View Post
    Bros you can try it and tell us if it works. No harm in trial...

excellent post, very interesting topic too. just like donivald said persistence, resilience, determination and faith in oneself are key.Tho we are oftentimes left discouraged by the turn of events, we cannot but press harder. I'm presently on my own pilgrimage and hope to reach home rily soon*wide gin*.
    please people share your job search experience, it could be encouraging enlightening or instructive ...how long did u search? where did you get your break through? from advertised vacancies applied for online or from visiting companies and dropping of CVs etc just share
    here's one...a friend of mine once visited a company somewhere in lekki to see some someone. He got talking with the receptionist and asked if he could apply as a corp member. she told him there was no harm in trying, he dropped his CV, he was called a few weeks later and just like that he cupped a 70k job. he was posted to the North but he spent his service year in lagos with the comp. He is currently done wiv service and is still with them tho he's still functioning in the same "assistant" capacity. and yeah, it's an oil servicing firm owned by a Nigerian but with alot of italians

Quote Originally Posted by nne_mak View Post
    As a young undergraduate in the early 90’s I studied to my perceived ability, mixing serious lectures with fun (No regrets). I graduated without an extra year but ended-up DASHING almost 3 years to ASUU strikes and delay in NYSC posting turning my 5 year program to 8 year!!!
    That was 12 years ago...but looking back I thank God for the zeal I had as a COPPER! I struggled to get a SIDE job while serving in a Gov school (one of the best move I have made).
    Getting that part time job wasn’t easy, I was a fresh graduate but had the then most sort-after professional certification. But even with that i had to put pressure (submitted my resume over 5x and placed calls to a particular firm) to be shortlisted for test. I passed the company graduate test with flying colors and the company only accepted to place me on Allowance since I lacked NYSC certificate (I only had 3 months to completion of NYCS).
    This same company (where i broke their test score record) refused to change my allowance to salary months after I had finished NYSC( Why are some Nigeria employers wicked!!). Yet I represented them as senior engineer in the fields and have plenty technicians reporting to me!
    They only accepted to regularize my salary years later when I walked out on them...of course I never looked back!
    During my stay with my initial firm I had written and passed many aptitude test; Mobil, shell, total, Addax, UN, NEXEN, MTN, Econet, NNPC, FIRS and many other i can’t remember.( Men, even God no say i spend plenty money on hotel bills and transportation o- graduating from night-bus to flight as the years went by)
    Even with passing test and getting to the final stage (99% of all the listed) and even told of been successfully via phone or email it’s not funny not to hear from these company(s)! ( i wonder why recruiter in Nigeria are soooo wicked seem they enjoy keeping people in the dark)
    Only to later discover names had been swapped and other people getting the offer!!!! In some cases the people been given offer didn’t even attend any of the recruitment processes. (Maybe HR personnel know that they may swap names hence their reason for keeping potential employee in the dark during recruitment)
    Looking at the rate at which our nation produces graduate, i hope people start learning how to be produce something tangible with their hands while in school (I suggest farming, carpentry, welding, tailoring, etc). In the present and future Nigeria those that are able to produce something on their own would be KING!!!

Sauer, it makes no sense in suing a company for not getting back to you on a particular recruitment exercise. The company reserves the exclusive right to communicating the recruitment status to applicant. Thats their prerogative. Its just like you asking me a question or talking to me and I refuse to reply you, are you going to sue me for not replying you?

Very Good question, some peeps with short-eye sight may laugh at the question but if you have experienced it, you will know it’s not funny.
    Let me shade more light on my experience with UN.. I applied for a UN position and after some months I was shortlisted for an interview but was shocked to face a test on arrival at UN building Abuja. 2 weeks after the test i was amongst the successful applicants called for an interview. (The interview had six members with only 2 Nigerian)
    The interview was really sweet and when I walked out I saw myself a UN staff already. As I headed to the airport back to my base i told my wife that she should start preparing her mind that we would relocate to ABUJA soon. A week letter I got a phone call from the man ( oyinbo) that headed the interview panel telling me he needs to confirm if I am ready to locate to ABUJA and that the position need to be filled urgently. Also that i was the best during the interview and my name had been sent to HR. He be working with me so i should confirm i would relocate. I told him i was already checking-out houses in ABUJA in preparation. He informed me the call was off-record and that HR would get in touch with me to finalize paper work.
    True to his word I got a mail from a Nigerian HR rep to send my documents, I was shocked because I had submitted both hard and softcopy to the same person on more than two occasion! All the same i sent it and called the interview panel head (to info him I got that the call from HR like he said), he was happy and told me he looked forward to working with me!
    1, 2,3 moths passed no news or info from UN, i called the interview head, the oyinbo just picked and told me he had done his part o.
    The HR refused to respond to my calls or email. By the six month oyinbo was not picking my calls.
    Later i got to know someone was handpicked and given the job.. LOL (now am laughing cos maybe i for done died as BOKO ARE RAM don BLAST that place and the floor i was suppose to work was involved)
    But TELL me if i had my way wouldn’t i have sued their !!!

I just pray peeps in Nigeria HR change... EVEN if they want to play pranks no wahala, JUST KEEP APPLICANTS UPDATED.
    Both employed and unemployed job seekers spend huge resources (Time and money) on recruitment process and they are not reimbursed in anyway. The most painful aspect is that they are kept in the dark!!
    NB Personal I don’t see them changing soon because even they themselves know that in most cases it’s not the best fit candidate that is employed (they don’t employ people based on merit or experience).

+ Reply
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast