+ Reply + New Job/Topic
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Topic: ADVICE TO ALL FRESH ENGINEERS

ADVICE TO ALL FRESH ENGINEERS

I am new on this forum but I want to just give a word of advice. I work with Amazon Energy and I also teach at Gold Gate Engineering Institute.

Please it is good to learn industrial leading software like CEASAR II, PDMS, STAADPro, HYSYS etc but that is not just all. Learning software without the background knowledge may be a waste of time and money. There are many training outfits in Nigeria who are not entirely honest with young engineers. You may not go too far career wise, if you are learning PDMS without a piping training. Likewise if you are learning CAESER II without piping stress analysis training, you are being short changed. Needless to say, there is a big difference between software and the theoretical/ practical knowledge. It is the combination of the 3 that makes you a sound engineer. I often interview several engineers who have done this software training alone but have to turn them down because they lack the background knowledge required. Don’t work for the software; make the software work for you.

I would like other people who are employed in the oil & gas to comment on this topic. Let us enlighten these young ones.

Re: ADVICE TO ALL FRESH ENGINEERS

I agree with you to the extent that you are not asking these new graduates not to learn these software at all. I am a Nigerian Engineer. I was trained here, I also work here. There is no Mechanical Engineering graduate that has no knowledge of materials, stress analysis, pipes(usually in thick and thin cylinder analysis in mechanics of materials),flow analysis etc. Same thing applies to other discipline. The main key issue is knowing which software apply to you. It is totally wasteful when Mechanical Engineer goes to learn HYSYS, FLARENET etc. If you are trained by a licensed company on the software, you will definitely have enough material to read. There are many EPC contract going on. Having a knowledge on any of these disciplined modeling software will surely put you on good stead in getting job.
    "Roll your works upon Jehovah himself and your plans will be established" (Prov.16:3

to say the least, fear of the unknown is the major reason why engineering graduates who study core engineering fields( MEE, CHE, CVE, PEE, EEE, CPE etc) nose dive into an entirely different software training course all in the bid to attract job offers. it is pretty sad, i was a victim of circumstance but i am determined to make a corrective step.I am a CHE and i am going to learn hysys, which makes a whole lot of practical sense to me since i have a grounded knowledge and believe the job will come in due season. Thanks y'all, Nigeria, great people, great nation.
    b

Hello Chibuzor, I am grateful to you for starting this thread. I am an EEE, and I intend to build a career in the Energy industry precisely Oil and Gas Industry. This fostered my desire to apply fora Masters Course Work PgDip/Msc Oil and gas Engineering from Robert Gordon University. At the moment I work with a TelCo, Precisely the Highest Paying, with our National Color, since I wasnt oppurtuned to get an employment offer from the Energy Industry Players. What trainings do you suggest I embark on while waiting for my Admission. Thanks once again

@Poster, pls can u give out a link where we can lay our hands on softwares like PDMS, u reach me [email protected]
    An expert was once an ammature!!!

@Chibizor pls i read civil engineering and i want to knw d training dat will be suitable for me. Pls i need ur reply. Tanx a million for dis advice.

Thanks Chibuzor. I read Mechanical Engeering and i have being thinking of improving myself professionsally . i will like you to advise me on which package is more applicable to me, how and were i can get the training.
    my email [email protected]

thx Chibuzo. thx a lot man 4 the info. kindly assist me. I read Mat and Met Eng. corrosion and project management is the dream. could you guide me on the particular program to go for. please my email is i[color=y
    ellow][email protected][/color]. 1 luv[

ok, i will send any information i get to ur email address.

ur coy ll train u

Hello Chibuzor, I thought you were going to publish your response on this Forum so as we all will learn from your response to different issues, afterall the questions were made public, the answers being made public will be more effective.
    Once again, Thanks

All these courses you talk about....How much do they cost...and if they are expensive as i think they are....then how do one finance it without a job...or...become a pain in the neck again to our parents.
    Advice...pls

ok, this was my exact responded to him.

Hello,

I will advice you to go for any oil and gas inspection course. There are so many of them with international certification. We have ASNT inspection, API inspection courses, corrosion control courses etc. Just go online and you will find all you need. Since you also have love for project management, you could go for PMP certification.

Pls note that trainings are very expensive, especially the once with international certifications and some are not even done in Nigeria .

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast