+ Reply + New Job/Topic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Settling down for 100k job or going for Masters?

Settling down for 100k job or going for Masters?

Hello house,
    A friend is about to resign his 100k job because of full-time Masters programme at OAU. Is it worth it? Advice please.
    "It is while smitting that one becomes blacksmith"

Re: Settling down for 100k job or going for Masters?

There's what we call "scarcity mentality" & "abundance mentality". The former will stay glued with 100k but d latter will go for Masters. If he cld get a job after B.sc, then he can get a job after M.sc. A friend is also resigning 4rm CBN this month to go 4 masters. Those kind of guys can see beyond 100k peanuts. Wake up and think a graduate is worth much more than 100k, even more than 300k a month. All because i know my worth... A corporation will appeal to me to consult 4 them @ just 1 million a month. Gradutes ,think beyond ur circumstance. Brand yourself. Improve ur net worth. Get a better degree and be the best. There's light @ then end of the tunnel. Your life gets better when u get better. Mind u i hold just a B.sc 4 now but i'm worth more than a Ph.D. You can also develop ursef. YES... YOU CAN

@eagleolu (aka Genius), thanks for the wonderful piece. Its really motivating and challenging. Dont be surprised that I know who you are.

guy na wa 4 u o, u have 100k job u said u want to go for full time master. earn ur pay and go 4 part time programme, afterall they will not say is part time in the certificate and u are not going for service for masters or go 4 full time master programme and look 4 work 4 5years wey u no go c

@ poster gabson212,is right.A bird at hand is worth more than thousands in the bush.Guy open ur eyes to reality there are no jobs in nigeria 4now.The global economic/financial crunch has destroyed companies n bank and they are now sacking there staffs.U have a 100k job n u plan to drop it 4ur masters na wah 4u.My advice is,stick to your job and try to enrol into a part time masters programme. Even guys that left their jobs to study abroad came back still searching 4 jobs that are no where.
    Wise up man.
    Goodluck

Ehmmmmm,from critical perspective. If actually 100k Job,then y not a Part-time MASTERS which is actually an opportunity zone for career oriented, though with little above FULL-TIME Fee. yet u retain ur work experience & at d end of the programme u will agree that a meagre #1million 500k (1.5) return from the job for a period of 15 months was able to off-set the total cost of the masters programme & still leaves u better off than depleting ur savings.
    U can as well switch employment b4 d end of d programme,u neva can tell. IF U R EARNNIG #900K monthly WILL U QUIT 4 FULL TIME MASTERS? NO u said,then u can manage d circumstance!!! just keep focus.

U can only reasonably leave that job if its a FOREIGN MASTERS.

A co-friend with 3 MASTERS & 7 years relevant work xprnce in level 3 lost his job meanwhile a guy he fixed in dsame job with just B.Sc rose to dsame level 3 within 3 years. be focused, strike a balance , don't neglect d days of little beginning & God will bless d works of ur hands.

It depends. I belief d info is not really complete. Masters program (academic) does not really add value to U in terms of employment except U av a bigger picture- a phd. Proffesnal masters may be may add value so it depends on your course of study. I will advise U 2 go abroad if u must resign....

..... I share'd COMO's sentiment

@All, thanks for the advice. Nigeria is blessed with so many intellectuals and talents. Its a pitty that the mother "Nigeria" is not ready to take care of her children "the citizens, most especially the youths". No opportunity to showcase those talents. Nigeria is the country where "who you know" is of higher priority than "what you know" and "what you can do." Thats why most Nigerians perform better abroad. May God help us in this country.

Back to the thread, it is obvious that quitting the job does not really worth it, especially with the present state of the economy unless the Masters programme were to be abroad. The decisions we take have a long way to go in our entire life. Once again, thanks to y'all. Have a wonderful week ahead. One love.

Thanks alot! all of you guys just solved my confusions.

even if the master is abroad i will not advise you to resign from your job beccouase now you can do master online from university abroad i have a friend who resign her appointment in 2006 and went abroad for master programme, she is back since 2007 till now she has not gotten a job if you want to take decision please consider the nigeria factor of joblessness because in nigeria today a job of 100k is not easy to come by

please be wise

I think its a fair dice, throw and see what the outcome will be.
    Man propose and God dispose, thank God, God no be man cos i for don kpeme oh!

LOL....I have always enjoyed this fora especially with the diverse views commissioned by house members....Bro it all depends on what you are looking at in the wider picture & what kind of job you want in the long run...as a former banker, i reckon that the banking industry is one in which you can walk in & out at any time especially if you know your onus! Me for once, left the shores of Nigeria for my masters & now starting my Ph.d becos i felt the next 4years wont offer much in terms of career advancement & with a doctorate i can always switch to academics... Plan well & strategise cos you know whats best for me...D guy who left CBN surely made a career blunder especially if he was a permanent staff cos even the so called europe does nt offer more than those who have good jobs back home, except if you are into cc business..lol
    JesseJames

+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast